Former Mizzou Athletes Impress in Summer League, Camp
It may be the offseason, Tigers fans, but we have no shortage of stories here at Rock M. We have many a talented football writer on the staff to keep you up to date on all things oblong sports ball-related. Hell, we’ll even throw in some Hoops content at times because we care THAT MUCH. But because I get to choose what to write about in the links, let’s check in on some former Mizzou athletes making some waves on the court and field, shall we?
DRU SMITH GETS START FOR MIAMI HEAT
I blame Dave Matter for me missing half of this game, to be perfectly honest. His tweet earlier in the week, which I had saved to my phone, did NOT mention a game on Tuesday night so I turned on the Olympics and then saw this tweet notification come in, much to my surprise:
The Heat (my new favorite team, at least for the summer), Lakers, Warriors and Kings are currently facing off in the California Classic before they head to Vegas for the remainder of summer league, and Dru earned a start in his professional debut! You really love to see it.
How’d he do? PRETTY WELL, Y’ALL!! In his 28 minutes (3rd highest on the team), he shot 50% from the field on 5-10 shooting (1-3 from behind the arc) and was 0-1 from the charity stripe for 11 points. Dru also had 2 rebounds (3 if you count the one as time expired), 4 assists, 2 steals, and 1 block, to go with 2 turnovers. While ending up with five fouls, at least one of them — no. 5 — was greatly fabricated by a Lakers player, and another was a foul on a 3, which was… not ideal. He’ll shape up; I have immense faith in him.
From the media/cool people point of view:
- Austin Konenski, head Miami Heat writer for Sportsnaut had some thoughts: (FWIW, I never heard of this site before Tuesday night, but Jemele Hill, who I tremendously respect, follows it, so we’ll say it’s legit)
I like what I’ve seen from Marcus Garrett and Dru Smith the most.— Austin Konenski (@AustinKonenski) August 4, 2021
Omer Yurtseven was expected, in my opinion, but Garrett and Smith on defense has been impressive.
Second half starts now.
Miami Heat summer league, Game 1:— Austin Konenski (@AustinKonenski) August 4, 2021
Stock up ⬆️
- Omer Yurtseven
- Marcus Garrett
- Dru Smith
- Micah Potter
- Dru showed up in a tweet from the NBA, you guys!! #famous
The @MiamiHEAT hold on to defeat the @Lakers in the California Classic opener behind Omer Yurtseven's 27 PTS and 19 REB! #NBASummer— NBA (@NBA) August 4, 2021
Dru Smith: 11 PTS, 4 AST, 2 STL
Marcus Garrett: 10 PTS, 6 STL pic.twitter.com/uNVp9kd2PX
Miami had a balanced attack from other parts of the roster. Marcus Garrett, Micah Potter, Dru Smith, DJ Stewart, and Justin Smith all had solid contributions. Garrett showed his defensive abilities. Potter seemed to be able to do a lot with the ball. Dru Smith was real comfortable with the basketball and was a steady presence.
- And finally, the only point of view that matters: that of RJ Layton, the former voice of Mizzou Hoops Twitter/Mizzou Basketball SID, and the basketball managers:
On tap for the Heat? Tonight at 8pm CST, they face off against the Warriors on ESPN U.
Next up… Nicky B!
NICK BOLTON IS GOOD AT SNATCHIN’ FOOTBALLS
Another day at Chiefs camp, another interception for Nick “The Intercepter” Bolton. I could definitely get used to this.
I must confess, I have no idea who Ben Niemann is, but yeah… TAKE HIS SPOT, BOLT.
From Andy Reid, via former KC Star writer Tod Palmer:
Chiefs coach Andy Reid on LBs Willie Gay Jr. and Nick Bolton: "I like both of them. They're making plays." Wanted to see how they'd look in pads, especially against the run. But he's been impressed.— Tod Palmer (@todpalmer) August 3, 2021
Want more on Mr. Bolton? Check out this piece by Matt Conner at Arrowhead Addict.
Onto the Links! Get em, DRU!
Yesterday at Rock M
- In part one of a new piece on the SEC expansion blues, Nate (the Great) told us to enjoy it while it lasts. Ehhh…. Thanks?
- Parker wrote about Hyrin White, the offensive line’s wild card.
- IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: The Knights of the Rock M Roundtable are back with a new Q&A about the offensive line— are we sleeping on them? And Sam took feedback (some truly bizarre) from commenters to parse out a possible Mizzou Hoops rotation.
- COMING UP: a new BTBS pod, a report on the new O-Linemen from Kortay, and so.much.more.
- Connor Bazelak gives Mizzou rare continuity at the QB position, according to Dave Matter of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- Saturday Down South’s Adam Spencer shared the ten questions he has as the football team opens fall camp.
- For Tribune subscribers (you can get 6 months of unlimited digital access for only $1), Eric Blum previewed the special teams: Mevis, McKinniss and Koetting give the Tigers solid kicking and punting.
- Also for Tribune subscribers, Eric has 5 questions for Eliah Drinkwitz and the Tigers as fall camp gets going.
- Absolutely LOVE to see this from the new transfer:
This season is going to be legendary! We are taking everything we’ve worked for! #MIZ— Akayleb Evans (@AkaylebEvans) August 1, 2021
- Mizzou as a underrated sleeper team? Along with our soon-to-be SEC compatriot? Alright (alright alright)
Top-5 underrated teams in College Football— PFF College (@PFF_College) August 3, 2021
Who are we missing on our list? pic.twitter.com/BBWyxjZD0X
- Mizzou brought in some elite visitors over the weekend, including some who are already verbal commits. The Tigers welcomed Mekhi Miller, Isaac Thompson, and this guy— the top dog:
- In case you missed it, Joel Lorenzi is interning for PowerMizzou this summer as a recipient of their Terez Paylor scholarship, and he wrote an absolutely FANTASTIC piece on Yaya Keita’s unusual path to Mizzou. It is a MUST read, and Yaya is sure to be a fan favorite. I’ll probably keep sharing it; it’s just THAT good.
- Speaking of Yaya, he posted this on the twitter:
- G. Allan Taylor of The Athletic took a look at four ways adding Oklahoma and Texas could affect other SEC sports. (subscribers only, but you can get a sub for 50% off currently)
- 100 DAYS!! CAN’T WAIT!!
Other Mizzou Sports
- Soccer has returned, and Coach Golan is reminding you to #TakeTheStairs.
- Ben Ramirez, Mizzou Wrestling SID, went in-depth with TigerStyle for MUTigers.com: From Rocky IV to International Dreams, Three Mizzou Wrestlers Take On UWW World Junior Championships.
- Get your tickets! Single game tickets are now on sale for Mizzou Volleyball. From MUTigers.com:
Mizzou volleyball single-match tickets are now on sale for the 2021 season. Single-match tickets are $8 for adults, $6 for youth and seniors, and $3 Mizzou students. The Tigers will play 13 home matches this season, including SEC matchups against South Carolina, Alabama, Ole Miss, Florida, Mississippi State and Tennessee.
- Congrats to incoming transfer golfer, Jack Lundin, who won the Sanford Futures Golf Championship, according to the Missourian’s Calum McAndrew.
Mizzou in the Pros
- Drew Lock is drawing rave reviews from Broncos camp, according to this piece by Vincent Frank of Sportsnaut.
- SBNation site Hot Hot Hoops examined what the Heat’s ten signees can do in the summer league. The writer has some nice things to say about our guy, Dru.
- Look who has reunited in Cali! MPJ and Coach Nic! Expecting big things (and a big contract) from Mike this coming season, especially after getting to work with the greatest S&C coach ever.
- I don’t think I could love this more…
Proud of @LWashington_2 for finishing his final day with the Bill Walsh Fellowship program with the @Chiefs and Coach Hill!! Best of luck this season with @GeauxJags! We are proud of you! pic.twitter.com/6yDPufw0GP— Coach Gary Pinkel (@GaryPinkel) August 4, 2021
- Let’s check in on J’den Cox, who should have been in this Olympics (stupid rules)… he’s preparing for camp in Miami!
#USANA look who came to help their Uncle J’den get ready for his Miami camp next week. Traveling the world can obviously take me away from family. However, the care and support that I receive from #USANA helps me know that family is never too far away. @USANAathletes @USANAinc pic.twitter.com/OwoJ2wTuZk— J'den Cox (@MATrix_8692) July 31, 2021
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)