Missouri 59 | Southeast Missouri State 28
Final | 2:12 PM
First Quarter Notes
- SEMO calls tails, wins the toss and defers to the second half.
- Tyler Badie showing off his versatility, 4 rushes on the first drive and a lunging catch at the sideline. A 49-yard touchdown run capped off a rhythmic first drive.
- Missouri defenses forces a 3-and-out on their first drive, with two tackles for loss to close it out.
- Bazelak finds a wide-open Dominic Lovett to get into SEMO territory on the next drive, and then finds Badie on a swing pass to extend the lead to 14 later on.
- Following another stop from the Tiger defense and a scary collision on the punt return from “Boo” Smith, Connor Bazelak threw a 46-yard touchdown on a rope to Smith on a deep post route.
- Pinned at the 1-yard line on their next drive, the Mizzou offense Bazelak threw another deep post, this time to Mookie Cooper, for his most productive play of the year.
1st Quarter Takeaways: Missouri’s offense came out of the gates swinging, as contrary to last week, Bazelak was connecting on plenty of deep balls. Tyler Badie dominated the game as usual and likely will not play too much for the remainder of the game. Also have to point out the improvement on defense. The SEMO run game is being stuffed and the Tigers are containing Redhawks quarterback CJ Ogbonna when he tries to escape the pocket.
Second Quarter Notes
- Bazelak tosses his first incompletions of the game early in the second quarter, but Harrison Mevis salvaged some points by nailing a 43-yard field goal.
- Darius Robinson went down on the next drive and was helped off the field, favoring his right ankle.
- Chance Luper used those long strides of his to turn a short swing pass into a 54-yard touchdown and extend the lead further.
- Johnny Walker Jr. picked up his first sack of the season to stall the next SEMO drive.
- Lovett again showing off his wheels as he picks up a first down on 3rd and 14 off of a shallow crossing route.
- JJ Hester picked up his first catch of the year to convert a 3rd and 13 on the same drive, and Lovett again broke off a short pass for a big gain to get into the red zone. Tyler Badie capped off an efficient first half with a 1-yard touchdown run to go into the break.
2nd Quarter Takeaways: The Missouri offense kept their pedal to the metal in the second quarter, as they worked Lovett, Luper, and Cooper on a couple of screen passes to get their playmakers in space, and it was working. This was the most points ever scored in a half under Drinkwitz, and the defense has yet to allow SEMO to cross midfield. Points on every drive and a shutout, you can’t ask for much more.
3rd Quarter Notes
- Chris Abrams-Drain read a wheel route and out-jumped the SEMO wide receiver to start the second half off with an interception for the Missouri defense.
- Brady Cook starts the second half at quarterback for the offense, leads a balanced drive that results in an Elijah Young touchdown catch at the goal line.
- SEMO moved into Missouri territory for the first time this game on the ensuing drive, and they punched in a 4-yard touchdown run to get their first points of the game.
- Tyler Macon takes the next drive at quarterback, connecting with JJ Hester for a 65-yard touchdown to get Mizzou over the 50 mark.
3rd Quarter Takeaways: Drinkwitz opted to sit Bazelak, Badie, and many of the others starters in the third quarter. Therefore, we got a chance to see Cook and Macon continued to duke it out for the QB2 spot. Both led scoring drives, with Macon’s coming off a great link-up with Hester.
4th Quarter Notes
- The Redhawks responded with a scoring drive of their own, mostly on the ground.
- Macon remains at quarterback, but the offense goes 3-and-out.
- Jalyn Williams comes in at quarterback for SEMO, and the Redhawks drive down the field again, again doing so mainly through the ground game.
- Michael Cox with a strong run through multiple SEMO defenders for 15 yards, then another one that was called back for holding. To make up for it, Cox just scampered in for 55 yards and a touchdown.
- SEMO responded with a 75-yard touchdown run.
Looks like Connor Wood will start for Case Cook at RG ... Akayleb Evans taking Rakestraw's first-team snaps at CB during pregame walk-through plays.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) September 18, 2021
CB Ennis Rakestraw is in street clothes as well— Mitchell Forde (@Mitchell4D) September 18, 2021
#Mizzou OL Case Cook is not in uniform during warmups. Looks like he won't play today.— Mitchell Forde (@Mitchell4D) September 18, 2021
#Mizzou injury report for Saturday's game against SEMO:— Mitchell Forde (@Mitchell4D) September 16, 2021
Questionable: Case Cook, Ennis Rakestraw
Out: Jay Maclin, Cannon York
Missouri vs. Southeast Missouri State Football
Time: 11:00 CST
Date: Saturday, September 18th, 2021
Location: Faurot Field, Columbia, MO