Get well, Jim...
One of the big storylines surrounding the season opener between Mizzou and Central Michigan on Saturday afternoon was Jim McElwain making his return to SEC country as a former Florida head coach.
Unfortunately, that situation might be in doubt. On Wednesday afternoon, the Central Michigan Football team announced that McElwain has undergone surgery on the Appendicitis. Assistant coach Tim Skipper has taken over the head coaching duties for the time being.
A news release from CMU Football:— CMU Football (@CMU_Football) September 1, 2021
Football Head Coach Jim McElwain has been diagnosed with Appendicitis and will have surgery today. Assistant Head Coach Tim Skipper will oversee the program until Coach McElwain’s return.
We wish Jim McElwain the best and are hoping for a speedy recovery.
Here’s what Tim Skipper had to say about McElwain at Central Michigan’s press conference on Wednesday:
Central Michigan assistant Tim Skipper on whether Jim McElwain will coach Saturday at Missouri: "We are hoping and praying it's one of those 24 hour deals and he gets back with us, we get on a plane and go play the game. But Coach Mac has prepared us for situations like this."— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) September 1, 2021
"We are planning everything right now like Coach Mac is with us."— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) September 1, 2021
Also, from Drinkwitz’s press conference on Wednesday, he says Mizzou is now over 88 percent vaccinated.
Drinkwitz announced Missouri is over 88% vaccinated on its team, with a couple players getting their second shot Monday.— Calum (@C_McAndrew95) September 1, 2021
From Wednesday night’s season opening edition of “Tiger Talk” with Mike Kelly, Eli Drinkwitz says that several 2022 and 2023 recruits will be at the game on Saturday. Faurot Field needs to be packed!
On his radio show tonight on @550KTRS Eli Drinkwitz made another pitch to fans to show up Saturday, saying several in-state 2022 & 23 recruits will be at the game, says, “We need fans in the stands.”— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) September 2, 2021
Yesterday at Rock M
- Nate Edwards has the preview of the Central Michigan Chippewas
- From Josh Matejka: On Eli Drinkwitz, reasonable expectations and dreaming bigger
- Wednesday Watch Grid from Nate Edwards and Kortay Vincent: Game times and Betting Lines for Week 1
- From Sam Snelling: Nike drops Pegasus 38s, here’s how you can get your hands on a pair
- On the latest Eye on the Tigers: Dave Matter and Ben Frederickson wonder Will Mizzou fans accept Drinkwitz’s challenge?
- New look Missouri Tigers defense doesn’t want to pick up where it left off, writes Blair Kerkhoff
- Anthony Kristensen has the preview of tonight’s match: MU soccer faces Miami, looking to improve to .500.
- MU cross country gears up for upcoming season with home opener, writes Joel Boenitz
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- Chris Kwiecinski goes Inside the biggest changes to Mizzou’s defense in 2021 under Steve Wilks
- Central Michigan football coach Jim McElwain sidelined with appendicitis ahead of season opener at Mizzou
- From Bernie Miklasz on Scoops With Danny Mac: With Entertaining Coach Eli Drinkwitz, The Fun Is About To Begin
- Drink’s got some jokes, haha!
Eli Drinkwitz on SEC conference call asked about QB Connor Bazelak's growth: "I think he's the same height."— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) September 1, 2021
Drinkwitz said his staff was texting 2023 recruits at midnight last night/this morning. Sept. 1 marks the first day coaches can formally recruit '23 prospects.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) September 1, 2021
- From Adam Spencer of Saturday Down South, he ranks Mizzou as 7th in the SEC Power Rankings heading into Week 1, and Matt Hinton ranks Connor Bazelak 7th among the SEC QB Power Rankings.
- On MUTigers.com, Football Hosts Central Michigan to Open 2021
- On MUTigers.com, Mizzou Soccer Set to Face Miami
- How about Mizzou Softball last season? Their .979 fielding percentage was a program record and ninth in the entire nation!
- Former Mizzou running back Damarea Crockett has been signed to the Broncos’ 16-man practice squad
- Hear from Mizzou Basketball assistant coach Cornell Mann on this podcast!
The relationship between @8MileCorn and @Coach_Hawk_WMU shared in this podcast is simply Beautiful. Wait to you hear how Coach Hawk mentored Coach Corn even during games. Without BALANCE You are Un-Even ... SO GOOD! https://t.co/JTRR9u0d0m— Tell Me Your Story Coach (@CoachKevinDro) September 1, 2021
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)