Massachusetts, See You Never
You guys, I like Massachusetts. I really do. My parents lived in Fall River (home of Lizzie Borden and Battleship Cove, for you history buffs out there) for 13 years, and I L-O-V-E Boston. While I would never cheer for their sports teams (aside from the Celtics— big Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum fan here), the area is amazing. The history, the architecture, the schools, the atmosphere… all top notch. But just as I will likely never visit again, if Drinkwitz has anything to say about it, the Tigers will not either.
From his presser on Tuesday,in regards to this game, which was scheduled P.D. (pre-Drink) in 2015:
“This is by no means is any knock on Boston College, because I think it’s a great game and it will be a tremendous test,” Drinkwitz said at his Tuesday press conference. “… Us traveling to Boston is going to be a very difficult test. If I had my pick of it, I would love to play a regional matchup that was maybe more of a rivalry game that would be maybe a little bit more exciting for recruits to watch from a TV perspective. Or maybe we’re playing in front of your family. I don’t know the last time Missouri signed a kid from the great state of Massachusetts.”
For reference, Missouri has upcoming series with more regional teams, including with Illinois, Kansas, Kansas State, and Colorado, per Dave Matter.
He continued, discussing BC’s defense:
“Defensively, very talented football team. They’ve got a tremendous scheme, do a great job of mixing in their their fronts, mixing in their coverages and pressures. Got a lot of experience. I feel like I say the same thing every year and I forget that it’s a COVID year, but they’ve got a lot of experience, lot of guys returning, a lot of guys up front. I think all four starters in the secondary come back. So a lot of experience in their system and what they’re trying to do. … First time I believe Mizzou has ever played Boston College. Excited about that schedule to really open up some recruiting grounds for us in the Northeast. That’s a joke, guys.”
As for other news from Drinkwitz, select players, and the interview with BC’s head coach, here’s some highlights:
- From Martez Manuel, on criticism of the run defense, which we all hope improves soon:
Much more coming at @STltoday, but Mizzou safety Martez Manuel had thoughts today on the criticism of MU's run defense: "I'm really excited to just shut everybody up. It's so annoying to get on Twitter or get on anything."— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) September 22, 2021
More on stopping the run from Drink:
“I mean, I felt prepared going into all of them to stop the run. We got to do it. We got to do it. So yeah, I don’t know. We’ll find out Saturday. I mean, I promise you they’re gonna run the football. So we’ll find out Saturday. I mean, it’s all talk right now. So, we’ll find out Saturday, and if we bring our stuff if, we bring the physicality, if we bring leverage in eyes and hands, or if we don’t.”
- Boston College Coach Jeff Hafley, on attendance at an early tipoff:
Speaking to reporters today, BC coach Jeff Hafley complimented #Mizzou's Tyler Badie and Connor Bazelak. But the highlight was this line:— Mitchell Forde (@Mitchell4D) September 21, 2021
“Students, come early, tailgate early. If you don’t want to wake up early, then don’t go to bed. Just come out right from the night before.”
On to the links!
But first, some wise words from Coach Larissa Anderson…
Yesterday at Rock M (SOOOO MUCH CONTENT)
- Kortay attended the latest press conference, where Drink talked about what the Tigers need to look out for when they visit Boston College this weekend.
- Nate looked over the new depth chart… which looks the same as last week.
- Nate was back with a quickie analysis of the SEMO game.
- Sammy took a quick look at the newly announced 2022 schedule.
- Sam continued the non-con previews, taking a closer look at his favorite school ever, the L****ty Flames.
- BK and Nate chatted about the win, the depth, and what’s to come or a new episode of the BTBS pod.
- IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: Matthew J Harris calculated some roster math, and looked at how Aidan Shaw is a high end component for Mizzou’s stylistic shift.
- COMING UP: Nate’s previewing the Boston College game and Matt & Sam return for a new Dive Cuts with special guest Carrington Harrison (!!), who’s made what looks to be a really great movie about Kansas City HS hoops.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: In a new Eye on the Tigers podcast, BenFred and Dave chatted about the upcoming matchup against BC, and Dave took an early look at the opponent in writing as well.
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum told readers why Missouri football fans shouldn’t expect another trip out to Boston College after their first-ever matchup. In a Tiger Extra piece ($$), Blum looked at how Mizzou plans to use the SEMO game as a springboard.
- The Kansas City Star’s Lila Bromberg took a look at the schedule release.
- PowerMizzou provided readers with a transcript and video of Drinkwitz’s press conference on Tuesday afternoon, and MUTigers.com has the video.
- Saturday Down South’s Stacy Mickles said Connor Bazelak’s star potential gives Missouri hope.
- Making your way to the game this weekend? Read up on BC’s updated vaccination requirements, directly from their site.
- JJ Hester. FAST.
- Coach Marco Harris-Stevens checked out 6’4 Oklahoma and BBE point guard, Jeremiah Johnson
Mizzou checking in on a PG and top-70 prospect from Oklahoma. Tigers really looking for ball-handlers in the ‘23 class. https://t.co/npDv3wIPId— Matt Harris (@MattJHarris85) September 21, 2021
- Updated crystal ball predictions for Football’s numero uno target, Luther Burden
Allen Trieu updated his crystal ball prediction for Luther Burden this morning. pic.twitter.com/FwXAeRuitn— Missouri Sports Podcast (@MizzouSportsPod) September 21, 2021
Hoops & Softball
- Gary Bedore of the KC Star wrote about Mark Mitchell’s final four recruiting visits, which includes both Mizzou — yay — and kU… gross.
- Disgruntled sigh.
In case there were any questions about priorities in the SEC, football media days were held in person in July and basketball media days will be done via Zoom in October.— Power Mizzou (@PowerMizzoucom) September 21, 2021
- Get to know… Sean Durugordon!
- Another day, another volunteer opportunity for Women’s Hoops. They really do a lot for the community.
- Love this! Coach A is right, in the times of Transferportapalooza, you never know what’s going to happen. It is QUITE the phenomenon that not one, not two, but SEVEN of her players decided to either come back for another year of eligibility or stay through their senior year. S-E-V-E-N. That’s unheard of, y’all.
Other Mizzou Sports/News
- Tennis performed well at the ITA Milwaukee Classic, per Missourian’s staff reports. Bronte Murgett and Marta Oliveira beat Navy’s Kacey Moore and Jillian Taggart in the quarterfinals 7-6 to advance to the semis, but lost to 6-2 on Monday to North Carolina’s Fiona Crawley and Reilly Tran.
- Sophomore Yu Ta Tsai posted a Top 10 finish at the Husky Invitational to finish in a tie for eighth, according to MUTigers.com. Junior Charlie Crockett also placed in the top 30. Mizzou was one of just eight teams to score under par, and defeated two teams that played in the 2021 NCAA Regionals (SDSU, Long Beach St.).
- Congrats to Gary Pinkel’s granddaughter, Madison Hendershott, who has verbally committed to Mizzou Soccer.
I’m excited to announce my verbal commitment to continue my academic and athletic career at the University of Missouri! Thank you to all of my family, friends, teammates & coaches (a special thanks to Bob Kittner) for your support! @MizzouSoccer @SportingRD2004 @MIZCoachGolan pic.twitter.com/fFQnkwPz2P— Madison Hendershott (@madihendershott) September 21, 2021
- This is nice!
- Interesting. I imagine this to be like my first grade science fair project, testing if corked bats really work.
Mizzou in the Pros
- Get it, SOPH!!
- Yeesh, Max.
Scherzer "has posted a 0.78 earned-run average in 9 starts with the Dodgers. He has amassed 79 strikeouts to 7 walks over 58 innings. He hasn’t given up an earned run in 37 innings since Aug. 21, six starts ago. He has catapulted to the top of the National League Cy Young race."— Peter Baker (@peterbakernyt) September 21, 2021
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earncommissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)