Baby, you’re a rich man!
I think we all need a break from Mizzou Football off the top, don’t you? So let’s turn to the world of basketball, where one former Mizzou Tiger just made himself a whooooooooole lot of money.
According to the Great and Power Woj, Mizzou’s one-hit wonder Michael Porter, Jr. has signed a max contract extension, becoming the fifth member of his draft class to do so.
Denver Nuggets forward Michael Porter Jr., has agreed on a five-year designated max extension that could be worth up to $207 million, his agent Mark Bartelstein of @PrioritySports tells ESPN.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) September 27, 2021
Our friends at Denver Stiffs wrote about the contract, which is technically a max that could become a supermax if MPJ makes an All-NBA team this coming season.
For a player labeled selfish and an injury disaster prior to the draft, Porter has been a consummate team player and healthier than several of his teammates. The back concerns haven’t materialized, with his only major time missed being a rolled ankle and Covid protocols. Porter will have the chance to prove he is worth that contract this year with Murray out and Porter filling the Second Star role next to Nikola Jokic...
I can’t seem to recall a ton of “Michael Porter Jr. is selfish” takes from around the draft, though I do remember some people questioning his social media antics, which seemed fairly benign. The back issues, however, were a very serious concern, and it’s been a joy to see Porter put them behind him.
Anyway, congrats Michael! Have a shot (or two!) to celebrate your good fortune!
Yesterday at Rock M
- In which I bemoan the existence of a Mizzou vs. Boston College game in any timeline past, present or future (and Photoshop Truman onto the head of Ted)
- In which Aaron tries to pull some semblance of good from Boston College
- In which Sammy collates the bowl projections for Mizzou, who is playing with almost no margin for error
- In which Nate and BK decompress from the weekend and discuss the future of the Mizzou QB position
- In which the masthead chooses our weekly MV3, led by, who else, the Thiccer
- Looking to watch a Mizzou Football game not at 11 am? Well you’re in luck, because now you’ll get to push kickoff back all of four hours on Homecoming day, when the Tigers will face North Texas at 3 pm. Also at the KC Star, Lila Bromberg looks ahead to this weekend’s date with Tennessee.
- At the Post-Dispatch, both of the Bens (Hochman and Frederickson) bemoaned the state of the Mizzou defense, which hasn’t found answers four weeks into the year.
- A strong day for Mizzou Women’s Golf, which saw five personal bests amongst the team.
- Mizzou women’s hoops profiled Lauren Hansen, who proved to be a sharpshooter in her first season as a Tiger.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)