You can almost hear it. The sound of squeaking shoes on the hardwood. The bouncing of the ball. The swoosh of the net. The roar of the crowd. The M-I-Z. My favorite time of year. It’s so close. Only 14 days til the men tip off against Washington University (exhibition), while the women get started EVEN SOONER. Only a WEEK until their first exhibition game against NW Missouri State. Yay!!!!!!
Which means…. it’s time to re-share my all-time favorite basketball commercial (from 2001!):
While we’re waiting for actual college basketball to tip off, the NBA officially got started (our guys all go tonight), and SEC MEDIA DAYS!
Tuesday was the women’s turn, and Coach P and the Ha(y)leys— Frank and Troup — took Birmingham by storm to talk about their preseason 12th ranked SEC team. (side note: I think they’ll finish higher than this)
Let’s hear from Coach P. The coverage of this was hard to find, y’all. #supportwomenssports
#Mizzou WBB coach Robin Pingeton and forward Hayley Frank talk about the advantages of having such a veteran team this year at SEC Media Days: "when it becomes player led, it becomes so much more powerful."— Nathalie Jones (@NathalieABC17) October 18, 2022
8 out of 12 members of the team are juniors and up ⤵️
: SEC Network pic.twitter.com/Q0m07q08rL
And this is a cool fact. Looking at the roster, here’s a list of their majors:
Communication & Sociology (Hansen) | Journalism (Smith) | Health Sciences (Dembele, Gilbert, Micah L) | Positive Coaching masters (Troup) | Speech Pathology (Kroenke) | Psychology (Kelly) | Nursing (Trusty) | Architecture (Frank)
Before their time at the podium, it was announced that Hayley Frank named Preseason Second Team All-SEC. Per MUTigers.com, Frank led all current Mizzou players with 15ppg, 5.1rpg and 1.5apg. She shot 46.2% beyond the arc and tied for 19th in the SEC with 21 blocks.
A four-year Tiger, Frank recorded eight 20+ scoring outputs and had 24 double-digit outings in 2021-22. The career year was headlined by a 21-point, three-rebound effort in Missouri’s historic upset of No. 1 ranked South Carolina.
I must confess. It’s going to be really weird looking at the court next Weds night and not seeing AB out there. Wishing her (and the others) all the best.
I’d be remiss if I didn’t give a massive shout out up top (i.e. where you all read so closely) to the “Mizzou, That’s Who” podcast/YouTube show on KC Sports Network, who interviewed Charlton ‘CY’ Young this week. Y’all, it was amazing. He is one of most charismatic guys I’ve EVER heard. I cannot recommend this enough. Seriously.
In this almost hour long chat, CY talked about his longtime love of Mizzou, his relationship with his “son” Dennis, recruiting great character young men, building programs, this season’s team, Ben Simmons not caring about school (unlike some of his FSU players, haha), his man-crush on Michael Porter, Jr during the 2017 NCAA Tournament (“he’s so tall, ooooh-weee”), and so much more. It was SO SO SO SO SO GOOD. Note: Watching it is better than listening because his mannerisms are hilarious, too.
On to the Links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Parker covered the presser for Homecoming Week
- Sam’s SEC previews continued, and next up is Lamont Paris’ South Carolina Gamecocks
- BK’s new Recruiting Reset: Phillip Roche looks like Mizzou’s next STAR for Blake Baker’s defense
- Watkins’ Player Previews continue!!! Come on down Dree Gholston!
- IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: Check out the other player previews so far — Kobe | Kaleb | Ronnie — as well as the season preview for the no.14 SEC team, Mississippi State.
COMING UP: More wonderful basketball content, featuring the next SEC preview | Nate’s Homecoming preview, in which he
asksbegs us not to lose to Vandy | Brandon analyzes special teams
- Columbia Tribune: What Eli Drinkwitz had to say about Vanderbilt, penalties and more (Matt Stahl) | Why a bye week focused on youth was important for Mizzou Football (Chris Kwiecinski)
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Eli Drinkwitz knows Mizzou football’s offense must regroup for a successful season (Dave Matter)
- Columbia Missourian: Again, Drinkwitz laments MU’s costly penalties (Jack Soble) |
- PowerMizzou/Rivals: Everything Eli Drinkwitz said on Tuesday heading into Week 8 vs. Vanderbilt (Jarod Hamilton) | Listen to the Tiger Tuesday Recruiting Show w/ Sean Williams & Gabe | Recruiting Reset: Offensive Line (Sean Williams)
- Saturday Down South: Looking ahead at the frustrating midway point of the season (Crissy Froyd)
- Injury reports, per Twitter: Chad Bailey good to go. Kris Abrams-Draine, Barrett Banister are probable (Ben Arnet) | Chance Luper update (Dave Matter) | Ky Montgomery is practicing again (Jack Soble)
- Well… that would certainly be interesting.
The Athletic is having fun with bowl predictions. pic.twitter.com/SdnBeQxN1f— ROCK M NATION (@RockMNation) October 18, 2022
- Here is Vandy’s depth chart (Mizzou’s remains the same)
- Nathalie comin’ in hot with the videos on Tuesday! Here’s some practice highlights!
- Check out the press conference video, courtesy of Mizzou Athletics’ YouTube channel
- PowerMizzou’s Drew King has finished his player previews: Captain Kobe Brown | Ronnie DeGray III | Nick Honor | Kaleb Brown | D’Moi Hodge | Tre Gomillion | Sean East II | Mohamed Diarra | Noah Carter | DeAndre Gholston | Aidan Shaw
- Drew is in Birmingham for men’s media day, which starts today. Read about the top SEC storylines heading into the event.
- Check out Gary Parrish’s CBS Sports’ SEC MBB rankings. I don’t like ‘em.
- Interesting observation from @DataMizzou/AKA Matt Watkins on KP data (get a sub! I paid $20!):
Ken Pomeroy rank oddity. As noted earlier, Mizzou comes in at #41 preaseason. Since 2011:— Order On The Court (@DataMizzou) October 17, 2022
-4 of Mizzou's 5 NCAA Tournament teams have been ranked in the 40's at some point (11-12 wasn't)
-2 of Mizzou's 7 non-qualifiers achieved a rank of 40's (or better)
What's it mean? ♂️
- Watch some 2023 commit Anthony Robinson II’s highlights from IG:
- As Chris K said, talented family:
This is recent 4-star Mizzou commit Jordan Butler's brother. NBA genes run in the family. https://t.co/NNTHz1rnIP— Chris Kwiecinski (@OchoK_) October 18, 2022
Other Mizzou Sports
- Missouri Women’s Golf team moved up two spots in the final round of The Ally, hosted by Mississippi State, finishing seventh of 11 schools. Per MUTigers.com, it was a tough competition, featuring four schools ranked in the top 50 and two in the top 10. Individually, two Tigers finished among the top 20 golfers during the tournament— freshman Melanie Walker (13th) and grad student Sky Sload (17th).
- Way to go, Swim & Dive! From the looks of the twitter, they KILLED it against Purdue over the weekend. I never saw an MUTigers recap, apologies.
- Soccer = fun.
- Don’t forget this week’s activities (sharing again):
Tiger fans, let’s get out and support the Black & Gold this week! @MizzouSoccer hosts Kentucky on Thursday @ 6 P.M. @MizzouFootball will take on Vanderbilt on Saturday @ 3 P.M. Good luck to @MizzouTennis, @MizzouMensGolf, @MUWomensGolf, & @MizzouVB on the road! #MIZ #MizzouMonday— Dennis Gates (@coachdgates) October 17, 2022
Mizzou in the Pros/Hodgepodge
- In a battle of former Missouri Tigers, Michael Porter, Jr, hopefully healthy this season, and the NBA’s best dressed, Jordan Clarkson, face off in their season opener at 8pm tonight. On tv? Not sure…
- JC news: Why Jordan Clarkson is reshaping his game with young Jazz (Ryan Miller, KSL.com)
- MPJ news: MPJ for MIP! Why Nuggets star Michael Porter Jr. feels like solid bet to nab NBA’s Most Improved Player Award (Keeler, Denver Post)
- It’s officially DRU SMITH SZN. The Heat tips off their season tonight at 6:30pm vs the Chicago Bulls. They also play 10/21 at 6:30pm vs StL native Jayson Tatum & all-around wonderful human/former Zo player, Jaylen Brown (i.e. the Celtics) on ESPN.
- Hot damn, NICKY BOLTS!
Nick Bolton is on pace for 170 tackles this season.— ‼️ (@LanceTHESPOKEN) October 17, 2022
The single season record is 156 set by Ray Lewis in 1997. pic.twitter.com/utIfXeS9Ug
- CHASE DANIEL, you make that money, bud. Impressive from the country’s favorite backup QB. Legend status.
This season, Chargers QB Chase Daniel started making appearances on NFL Network after Monday Night Football games.— Front Office Sports (@FOS) October 18, 2022
Last night though, the Chargers played on MNF.
So, after LA's win, Daniel walked across the street to the new NFL Network studio and clocked in for his second job. pic.twitter.com/Ltw4nfP5Sb
- Heartfelt message from Soph on BG’s 32nd birthday. Bring BG home. Please. It’s been 243 days.
happy birthday, B! can’t wait to squeeze you soon. love you with my whole heart and know we are praying for you every single day. celebrating you big!!! pic.twitter.com/AzA24582jE— Sophie Cunningham (@sophaller) October 19, 2022
— — — — — — — — — — — — —
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)