My blood pressure didn’t skyrocket AT ALL
Between the abysmal ESPN+ feed —you charge 9.99 for that pile of kansas?!?— and the normally very inaccurate three-point shooting Shockers suddenly hitting what seemed like all of their treys, it was an… interesting night. But a win is a win is a win is a win is a win is a win is a win is a win and Dennis Gates’ Missouri Tigers are EIGHT AND ZERO, BABY [Isiaih’s tweet] and they STEAL— get it, cuz they had 16(!) steals— a win right from under the WuShocks’ noses.
Toughness on display tonight but in the end, it's a different venue and same result!!!#MIZ - pic.twitter.com/hvoUfxgek2— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) November 30, 2022
Full disclosure, I was watching the game at Shiloh with my friend Sara, and as she thought it was as good as over at several points and that we were going to lose, I really (I promise) didn’t lose hope. It just never got too far out of reach, in my opinion, for our fair Tigers. I knew they’d claw their way back into it. And when they forced overtime — on the Rock M Slack channel, Levi said something like ‘teams that force OT win 60-70% of the time’ — I just knew they’d get the W. In my mind, in displaying that fight, that unwillingness to back down, even though it was ugly as HELL at times [RD3’s tweet], THEY (the Tigers) forced the OT and they would be victorious in the end. Thank god that turned out to be right, because man… this would have been a different post.
So yes, while I had LOADS of doubt in the ESPN Family of Terrible Networks [my NSFW tweets], as did everyone on twitter trying to partake in the madness, I didn’t doubt the fight of this ragtag bunch of mostly mid-major misfits. Remember, Isiaih Mosley was a DNP (everything is alright, per Matter) and foul trouble saddled Kobe for long stretches. I don’t even mean any of this as a dig, you guys; I truly love this team. Some highlights— there weren’t that many posted. I blame YOU, ESPN+.
Noah Carter (MVC transfer):
A grown-man's rebound by @noah3carter to extend the Mizzou lead!#MIZ pic.twitter.com/I3xhmpSUGE— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) November 30, 2022
D’Moi Hodge (Horizon League transfer):
.@Dmoi_VI connects on his fourth triple of the opening half to keep the Tigers in front of the Shockers, 34-30!#MIZ pic.twitter.com/eceO9VYOq8— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) November 30, 2022
From Dave Matter, on the performance of PGs Sean East II (JuCo transfer), Nick Honor (ACC transfer), and Tre Gomillion (Horizon transfer):
Mizzou's three point guards tonight: 27 points, 8 assists, 10 steals, four turnovers pic.twitter.com/zsPIDmxXE7— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) November 30, 2022
To wrap this all up in a big black & gold tiger-striped bow, here’s just two more things…
Rock M beat writer Parker, who wasn’t technically “on the beat” for the game (check out Brandon’s gamer), had this to say. He writes with a bit more authority than I do:
Not their normal amount of assists, but they still were menaces on the other end, racking up 16 steals.— Parker Gillam (@gillam_parker) November 30, 2022
In their first test of the season, this team showed a lot of grit on the road and came out with a win. That’s all you could’ve asked for in this one.
Prior to the game, I pulled this from twitter, because it’s from our other Data Matt (Harris), and it became more interesting as tonight, the WuShocks went in for multiple kill shots of their own (10-0, 16-0, I think) and still, the Tigers prevailed.
What stands out about that table is that MU's completely flipped its MO. A year ago, you'd have been hard-pressed to imagine the Tigers alongside Alabama, Arkansas and Auburn in terms of pace and the basketball version of explosive plays.— Matt Harris (@MattJHarris85) November 29, 2022
On to the Links!
That's a big win— ROCK M NATION (@RockMNation) November 30, 2022
Coming home to Columbia with a big road win!#MIZ pic.twitter.com/NxAyD93FOK— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) November 30, 2022
Yesterday at Rock M
- Josh’s new Revue compares Mizzou to the NON-Christmas movie, Die Hard, and compares Willis to Cook, and Richman to Pittman. Great, great stuff for the season finale.
- Nate attempted some scholarship math’ing before the absolute madness comes Dec. 5th.
- New Dive Cuts! Sam and Matt (Watkins!) chat about Mizzou using lineups that put them in the best position to win games!! Have a listen!
- Brandon penned an electric game preview for Tuesday’s game against the Shockers.... get it? teehee
- Brandon also penned the Shock(er) Proof gamer. These puns…. Just really doing the lord’s work here.
- Nate seems to be updating the comings/goings constantly, so you might want to just leave that particular window open…
- COMING UP: Study Hall, a BTBS on the Arkansas game (wasn’t that years ago?), a WBB preview for their game vs SLU tonight, an excellent Mizzou Football Fan Survival Guide from BK (Thurs), etc.
Football/TransferMania Pt. 2
- Columbia Tribune: Bowl projections per national experts (Matt Stahl) | Tyler Macon among Missouri football players who plan to enter transfer portal UPDATED (Stahl)
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Quarterback Tyler Macon among Mizzou players planning to transfer (Dave Matter)
More portal plans for Missouri: backup linebacker Zach Lovett plans to transfer, per team source. Also senior safety Jalani Williams plans to use his Covid year of eligibility at another school next season.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) November 29, 2022
- PowerMizzou/Rivals: Tuesday Tiger Recruiting Show (Gabe DeArmond & Sean Williams) | Stat Breakdown— Who can make up receiving production? (Jarod Hamilton) | 2025 DL Jason Dowell talks recent Mizzou visit (Williams)
- Bye, Devin. Thanks for being a Tiger.
- Thoughts from SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON
That transfer portal would’ve had our whole damn team cryin at the Zou, we were too close for all that pump faking. We just got to work and pushed each other! I burned my RS for Kickoff and experience then started the next year!Oh well ♂️ good luck to them all. Cloth talk!— Franklin De’Sean Weatherspoon (@SpoonJones56) November 30, 2022
- Luther for King of CoMo
#NewProfilePic pic.twitter.com/qOQ4T9Fb0H— luther (@lutherburden3) November 29, 2022
- In other SEC news, this is just... wild. Just a preposterous decision by A*b*rn (if you hire Hugh Freeze, you’re as bad as the school he came from). For more context read this.
"We don't trust you with Twitter" is a helluva contract stipulation https://t.co/fQ5LDpTWY4— Sam Snelling (@SamTSnelling) November 29, 2022
- Columbia Missourian: What went into Mizzou’s hard fought OT win over Wichita State (Jaden Lewis) | MU men’s basketball forces OT, survives road shock against Wichita State (Jack Knowlton)
- PowerMizzou: Mizzou comes away with 88-84 overtime road win over Wichita State (Drew King) | Quick Thoughts * for subscribers (King)
- Columbia Tribune: What do we know about Mizzou basketball so far? What can be learned against Wichita State? (Matt Stahl) | Mizzou keeps passing its tests; has it passed enough to ace the Kansas test? (Chris Kwiecinski) | Mizzou basketball survives bad shooting, big Wichita State runs for first road win (Stahl)
- Kansas City Star: Extra heartbreak: Wichita State basketball can’t close out Mizzou in overtime loss (Taylor Eldridge)
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Mizzou’s basketball team takes unblemished record on the road for first time (Dave Matter) | Mizzou pulls away from Wichita State in OT (Matter) | UPDATED: How Mizzou’s guard heavy lineup wresled away OT victory (Matter)
- The Maneater: How Missouri women’s basketball’s win over UT Martin foreshadowed its Baha Mar performance (Matt Guzman)
- Women’s Hoops faces SLU tonight in midweek matchup (MUTigers.com)
- Just gonna need you to move that Tiger head over to the right a little more after Tuesday evening… thanks.
Which teams have the most 'Active Hands' in college basketball?— CBB Analytics (@CBBAnalytics) November 29, 2022
Here's how your team stacks up in Steal % vs Block % ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/7kJZZmCifb
- Reminders from Sammy Stava and ‘voice of the Tigers’ Matt Michaels, to go with thoughts from Big Sports Show’s Brendan Wiese and former Tigers Jarrett Sutton and Laurence Bowers. And this hilarious gem from The Athletic social team’s Mark Kim:
I SEE YOU DENNIS pic.twitter.com/xfdlEp4zYE— Mark Kim (@MarkJKim_) November 30, 2022
- All Dennis Gates Love, ALL THE TIME, from 14Southeastern’s (and friend of me/Dive Cuts) Blake Lovell:
Missouri now off to an 8-0 start under Dennis Gates with the win at Wichita State. Love the confidence and toughness of this group.— Blake Lovell (@theblakelovell) November 30, 2022
The Next Chapter in Mizzou Hoops
- Awesome news about Grace Slaughter (2023 signee):
What a great group of talented players, so honored to be a part of it! https://t.co/IzVHpva4JA— Grace Slaughter (@graciekkay10) November 29, 2022
- Stockrisers.com’s Jake Weingarten has good news to share about big man Jordan Butler (2023 signee):
Dennis Gates got an underrated land in Jordan Butler. At 6-foot-11, is super-skilled and can play pretty much anywhere on the court. Scores the ball on multiple levels, and is also very tough on the defensive end. Recently had a 41-point & 11-rebound outing.— Jake (@jakeweingarten) November 29, 2022
- Kris Parker, 2023 target (and mentioned previously) will be OV’ing this weekend when they take on SEMO. While it was originally reported he would commit on 12/12, that has been pushed back, per On3. Is this good or bad news for the Tigers? Who’s to say…
2023 four-star Kris Parker -- who is considering the likes of Alabama, Villanova, UCF, Missouri, and others, has postponed his commitment date.— Joe Tipton (@TiptonEdits) November 29, 2022
More here: https://t.co/SjqJXQAwxg pic.twitter.com/ilHKaxj8Lz
- Very large human (he’s 6-foot-11, 310 pounds) four-star target Peyton Marshall talked with 247 Sports about the teams he’s hearing from most.
Holiday Hoopsgiving: Top 50 big man Peyton Marshall talks official visits to Penn State Missouri, and Auburn with @247Sports— Dushawn London (@DushawnLondon1) November 29, 2022
Story: https://t.co/ZcBQCJVP68 pic.twitter.com/52QYlEZ1Xm
Other Mizzou Sports
- Reminder from Coach Gates on the events this week:
@MizzouWBB hosts Saint Louis Wednesday @ 7 P.M. @MizzouWrestling welcomes West Virginia on Friday @ 5:30 P.M. @MizzouSwimDive take on Missouri State on Saturday @ 10 A.M. @MizzouGym Black vs Gold is @ noon on Sunday. Come out & support the Black & Gold!— Dennis Gates (@coachdgates) November 29, 2022
- Speaking of Preseason Top 10 teams, you’ll be able to find your favorite Tiger gymnasts on the SEC Network SIX times this winter. Per MUTigers.com, you can catch them take on UGA 1/13, LSU 1/20, UK 2/3, UF 2/10, AUB (vs Sunisa Lee!!) 2/19, and ARK 2/24. Every other match will be on SEC+.
- Join Missouri Athletics Director Desiree Reed-Francois in raising money for local families in need over the holidays with the help of Mizzou coaches and the Student-Athlete Advisory Council.
Our @Mizzou_SAAC is raising money for local families in need over the holidays. I hope you’ll join me in donating to their cause. @mizzouathletics coaches - you in? @CoachLarissaA start us off!— DR_Francois (@DRFrancois1) November 29, 2022
Venmo account: @MIZSAAC pic.twitter.com/13UaTomE23
Mizzou in the Pros
*Coming Friday. That game went too late to also grab the NBA/G-League stats*
- Sophie (and Lindsey) Cunningham have finalized plans for the Sophie Cunningham Classic, to be held at Columbia College. See the deets below:
See you soon! pic.twitter.com/6YUKy16L5n— Sophie Cunningham Classic (@sophiecclassic) November 28, 2022
— — — — — — — — — — — — —
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)