When you wake up tomorrow, it’ll be here. BORDER WAR SHOWDOWN DAY.
ARE YOU READY?
As I mentioned last week, it’s only been 3,692 days since Mizzou and kansas faced off at Mizzou Arena. That’s been a whole lotta sleeps - a whole lifetime ago - but finally, it’s here. F’ING FINALLY.
What are you planning to wear for this momentous affair? Me, I’ve saved my favorite shirt (mine is gold, actually) for the occasion, from 573 Tees (below). And today I’ve got on my vintage-like Border War Showdown shirt from Rally House at work.
I’ve been inspired lately, by Coach Gates — he was incredible at Tiger Talk — and the play of this team, and the return of this game, so I’ve created a poem for the occasion, a play on ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas, that will be out mid-afternoon. It’s supposed to be absurd, and I hope you enjoy it.
But enough about me! Let’s get to Thursday’s news. All of which (up top at least) will revolve around said basketball game.
Here’s a few 2-days left countdown posts:
"We know how much it means to the fanbase. This year, having our owns fans there and having the energy be on our side, it should be fun."— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) December 9, 2022
Just two days until the Tigers take on the Jayhawks in the @HyVee Hoops Border Showdown! #MIZ pic.twitter.com/Vnn3lRm86X
HA! Keep the awkward Canvas discussion board posts coming, students:
So, this is going to sound wild, but do I [shudders] agree with Bill Self here? Because he’s right; I don’t despise the Illini despite the longstanding rivalry.
Bill Self: "Missouri-Illinois, I thought, was a good rivalry, I thought there was a little bit of respect. With Kansas-Missouri from a fan stand point, I don't know if there's much respect as there is just flat out, dislike or hate. And that's what makes it a great rivalry."— Harold R. Kuntz (@HaroldRKuntz3) December 8, 2022
For your listening pleasure, take in an earful of a bonus episode of the Mizzou, That’s Who Podcast, where Gabe, Maggie and Tucker are chatting with everyone’s favorite former cheery and most enthusiastic Tiger benchwarmer (I don’t mean that in a bad way, I promise), Jarrett Sutton!
#MizzouThatsWho@PowerMizzoucom, @MaggieLJohnson, and @tuckerdfranklin are back for the second time this week to talk about the #Mizzou and #Kansas rivalry with @JarrettTSutton and preview this weekend's clash in Columbia. ⚔️— KC Sports Network (@KCSportsNetwork) December 8, 2022
ON TO THE LINKS!!!
Note: And, to my Dad... when you write to me about today’s links, you FINALLY won’t have to end the note with “Free BG.” Our girl is HOME.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Parker wrote about the final press conference before the Border War!
- Parker also looked at how Mizzou basketball’s transfers have fared compared to their previous years.
- Josh, Parker (he’s been busy), and the Matts reconvened a Rock M Roundtable to chat about the kU game.
- Nate requested we get to know our bowl game opponent, Wake Forest, better.
- Want to listen to Nate
swearbe bleeped out? Learn about possible transfers and bowl game preferences? Listen to a new BTBS with Nate & BK.
- COMING UP : A Daniel Blood recruiting reset from BK and a transfer QB discussion from Dan. SO.MUCH.BASKETBALL.CONTENT: point guard comparisons from Jackson, Sean East II analysis from Matt Harris, WBB preview and subsequent recap | a new Rock M Digest from me | VT wrestling preview from Matthew, and more…so yeah, we’re busy.
- PowerMizzou/Rivals: What losing starters to the NFL Draft mean for Mizzou in Gasparilla Bowl (Jarod Hamilton) | Missouri and the updated Rivals250 Rankings (Sean Williams)
- Columbia Missourian: Missouri offers former Vanderbilt running back Davis (Kenny Van Doren)
- Names to Watch: Vandy’s ReMahn Davis picked up an offer (Matter) | Brayshawn Littlejohn’s OV |
- Thanks for being a #TrueSon, KP! Best of luck reuniting with Glen Elarbee at UT:
- Not sure where to put this but Mark Emmert and the NCAA continue to be.. the worst.
you mean *paid employees* cuz they’re already making y’all millions with free labor https://t.co/fTvEGIdBXd— Natalie Achonwa (@NatAchon) December 8, 2022
- Kansas City Star: Florida State coach Leonard Hamilton holds unique role in Saturday’s Mizzou-KU game (Blair Kerkhoff)
- PowerMizzou: Looking back at the last basketball Border War in Columbia (Gabe DeArmond)
- Columbia Tribune: Mizzou basketball is eager to show a year’s worth of improvement vs. Kansas (Matt Stahl)
- Missourian: Missouri hosts Kansas for the 270th meeting and the first in Columbia since 2012 (Jaden Lewis) | Taylor’s shot, a court storm and Missouri’s last win over defending national champion Kansas (Jack Knowlton)
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Border War revival stirs memories of Marcus Denmon’s epic game when Kansas last visited Mizzou (Calum McAndrew) | Matter is back with a new subscriber chat | After their running start, Gates’ Tigers hope to knock down tougher foes (Jeff Gordon)
- PROMO ALERT!!! There’s some good stuff on the way, y’all! Come cheer on this team in person!
- I spy the Missouri Tigers MBB team as an 11-seed in Andy Katz’s first bracketology.
- Check out Mizzou Hoops today at 11:30am as they take on Omaha. Coach P said at Tiger Talk the early game time will allow for some deserving CPS students to take in a game via field trip! More game info per MUTigers.com.
- From ABC 17’s Chanel Porter:
The #Mizzou women's basketball team is set to take on Omaha tomorrow afternoon, but head coach Robin Pingeton said a big part of the team's week has been focusing on the upcoming finals week.— Chanel Porter (@ChanelABC17news) December 8, 2022
"I think that was huge that they had a couple days to get caught up." ⤵️ pic.twitter.com/lXzBLngyQp
- Sara-Rose Smith!!!!
Mrs. double-double— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) December 8, 2022
One of two players in the country with 3+ double-doubles off the bench this season. pic.twitter.com/PyhrFOOkoD
Other Mizzou Sports
- Wrestling: Breaking down MU wrestler Brock Mauller’s redshirt season (John Belfonte, Missourian)
- Wheelchair Basketball: Ron Lykins’ lasting impact on Mizzou Wheelchair Basketball (Matt Guzman)
- Soccer getting in on the kU action. Thanks, Coach Golan!
- Swimming: Listen to Truman’s Pond, the swim&dive podcast [part of the Inside Mizzou Sports network], where the hosts, Alec Hayden & Noah Mitchell, chat with distance swimmer Jane Smith.
On this episode of Truman's Pond - The @MizzouSwimDive Podcast - Alec & Noah chat with #Mizzou distance swimmer (and an NCAA qualifier) junior @smith_jane28!— Mizzou Radio (@MizzouRadio) December 8, 2022
Listen / like / subscribe: https://t.co/xHd6bt68Df
12/7 vs GSW (W 124-123): 37 min | 22pts on 9-20 FG (2-6 3PT) | 4 REB | 9 AST | 4 TO | 1 PF | +2
12/3 vs PORT (L 116-111): 36 min | 19pts on 6-11 FG (2-4 3PT) | 3 REB | 1 STL | 1 TO | 2 PF | +8
12/2 vs IND (W 139-119): 29 min | 19pts on 6-12 FG (1-3 3PT) | 1 REB | 3 AST | 1 STL | 5 TO | 3 PF | +22
UP NEXT: 12/9 vs Wolves at 8pm | 12/10 vs DEN at 8pm | 12/13 and 12/15 vs NOP at 8pm | 12/17 vs MIL at 7pm
Held out since 11/22 with heel (achilles?) injury
UP NEXT: 12/10 vs Jazz at 8pm | 12/14 vs WASH at 8pm | 12/16 vs LAK at 9pm on ESPN | 12/18 vs CLT at 7pm
Michael Malone says there’s still no timeline or timeframe on MPJ.— Mike Singer (@msinger) December 9, 2022
The TNT broadcast suggested he could be back within a week. Malone said no timeline has been conveyed to him.
Porter didn’t make the one-game trip to Portland. This will be his 8th straight game being out.
12/8 vs LAC (W 115-110): 22 min STARTING | 2pts on 1-5 FG (0-3 3PT) | 1 REB | 3 AST | 4 PF | -7
12/6 vs DET (L 116-96): 3 min | 1 REB | -1
12/4 vs HERD (W 142-96): 29 min | 26pts on 10-13 FG (5-6 3PT) | 4 REB | 6 AST | 1 STL | 1 TO | 2 PF | +36!!
UP NEXT: 12/10 vs Spurs at 4pm | 12/12 vs Pacers at 6pm | 12/14 vs OKC at 7pm | 12/15 vs HOU at 7pm, assuming he stays with the NBA squad for a bit
- Jontay Porter & Wisconsin Herd (6-8):
12/6 vs SkyForce (L 100-80): DNP
12/4 vs SkyForce (L 142-96): 14 min | 3pts on 1-4 FG (1-4 3PT) | 1 REB | 1 AST | 1 TO | 2 PF | -21 (EEEK)
UP NEXT: 12/14 vs Mad Ants at 6pm on ESPN+ and 12/16 at 7pm
Former Tiger Hodgepodge Season Averages (as of 12/8)
**NOTE: Arrows indicate better (or worse) performance over last week’s shared data. I didn’t list the best recent game if there wasn’t a good/better one.
- Javon Pickett (SLU): In 10 games, Pickett is averaging 25.7mpg (⇩) and 11.7ppg (⇧). He’s got a 53.3 FG% (⇧), 41.2 3PT% (⇧), and 77.8% FT% (⇩), to go with 6.8rpg (⇩), 1.4apg (=), and 0.5 steals (⇩).
Best recent game (12/3 vs SIU-C): 32 min | 23pts | 80 FG% | 6 REB | 1 AST | 1 BLK
- Sean Durugordon (Austin Peay): In 10 games, Sean is averaging 25.1mpg (⇧) and 11.2ppg (⇧). He’s got a 40.0FG% (⇧) and 29.8 3PT% (⇧), to go with 5.4rpg (⇧), 1.3apg (=), and 0.7 steals (⇧).
Best recent game (12/3 vs TN St): 40 min | 24 pts | 60.0 FG% | 6 REB | 3 AST | 1 BLK | 2 STL
- Trevon Brazile (Arkansas): In 9 games before his injury on 12/6 that will keep him out of the season, Trev was averaging 27.1mpg (⇩) and 11.8ppg (⇩). He’s got a 48.1 FG% (⇧), 37.9 3PT% (⇩), to go with 6rpg (⇩), 1.0apg (=), and 1.2 steals (⇧). He was averaging 2.6 PF (⇧) and 2.2TO (⇧). Get well soon, TB.
Best recent game (12/3 vs San Jose St): 30 min | 23 pts | 88.9 FG% | 50% 3PT | 5 REB | 2 AST | 2 BLK | 1 STL
- Boogie Coleman (Ball State): In 9 games, Boogie is averaging 33.1mpg (⇧) and 12.7ppg (⇩). He’s got a 36.3 FG% (⇧), 39.2 3PT% (⇧), and 87 FT% (⇧). He’s averaging 5.3rpg (⇩), 0.6 blocks (⇩), 3.6apg (⇧), to go with 2.9PF (=) and 3.3TO (⇩).
Best recent game (12/7 vs EIU): 36 min | 11 pts | 5 REB | 8 AST | 1 STL (also 11pts on 12/3 and 11/27, the epitome of consistency)
- DaJuan Gordon (NM State): In 7 games, DaJuan is averaging 26.1mpg (⇧) and 9.1ppg (⇧), to go with 5.7rpg (⇧), 1.4 steals (⇧) and 0.9apg (⇩). He’s shooting 33.3 FG% (⇩) and 29.4 3PT%.
Best recent game (12/7 vs SCU): 34 min | 11 pts | 7 REB | 2 STL | 37.5% 3PT
- Yaya Keita (Oklahoma): He’s only played two games so far, and on 12/6 against UMKC, where he played just 2 minutes and had a foul. I’ll keep monitoring his progress.
- Xavier Pinson (NM State): In 7 games, X is averaging 30.4mpg (⇩) and 13.4ppg (⇩), to go with 3.6rpg (⇧), 0.1 blocks (⇩), 1.6 steals (⇧), and 2.4 TO (⇩). He’s shooting 42.5 FG% (⇩) and 35.7 3PT% (⇩).
Best recent game (12/7 vs SCU): 38 min | 14 pts | 4 REB | 7 AST | 3 STL
- Amari Davis (Wright State): In 9 games, Amari is averaging 26.6mpg (⇧) and 13.1ppg (⇩), to go with 5rpg (⇩), 1.9apg (=), and 1 steals (⇩). He’s shooting 48.9 FG% (⇩).
Best recent game (12/4 vs YSU): 34 min | 14 pts | 37.5 FG% | 5 REB | 4 AST
- Anton Brookshire (Iona): In 7 games, Anton is averaging 8.9mpg (⇩) and 2.3ppg (⇩), to go with 1.7rpg (⇧), and 0.6apg (⇧). He’s shooting just 23.33 FG% (⇩) to go with a 18.8% 3PT (⇩).
Best recent game (12/4 vs CAN): 12 min | 0 pts | 4 REB | 1 AST | 2 STL
- Torrence Watson (Elon): In 9 games, Torrence is averaging 26.6mpg (⇩) and 9.9ppg (⇩), to go with 4.8rpg (⇩), and 1.7apg (⇩). He’s shooting just 28.7 FG% (⇩) and 23.6% 3PT (⇩).
- Parker Braun (Santa Clara): In 10 games, PB has averaged 33.1mpg (⇧) and 7.6ppg (⇩) to go with 6.5rpg (⇧) and 2.9apg (⇩). He’s got a 54.1 FG% (⇩) and 22.7 3PT% (⇩).
Best recent game (12/7 vs NMSU): 36 min | 4 pts | 40% FG | 9 REB | 4 BLK | 1 STL
- Jordan Wilmore (NW State): In 9 games, Big Jordan is averaging 9.8mpg (⇩) and 0.6ppg (⇩), to go with 1.8rpg (⇩), 0.8 blocks (⇩) and 0.4 steals (⇩). He’s got a 25.0 FG% (⇩).
- LaDazhia Williams (LSU): In 7 games, LDW is averaging 19.6mpg (⇧) and 10ppg (⇩), to go with 4.6rpg (=), 1 apg (⇧), 1.6 steals (⇩) and 0.6 blocks (⇧). She’s also got a 64.7 FG% (⇩) but only a 40.0 FT% (=).
Best recent game (12/4 vs Tulsa): 25 min | 8 pts | 5 REB | 1 AST | 1 STL | 1 BLK | 50 FG%
- Kiya Dorroh (Col State): In 5 games, Kiya is averaging only 5mpg (⇩) and 3ppg (⇧), to go with 1.5rpg (⇧). She’s also got a 66.7 FG% (=).
Best recent game (12/6 vs Denver): 4 min | 4 pts | 2 REB | 66.7 FG%
- Izzy Higginbottom (Ark St): In 7 games, Izzy is averaging 33.9mpg (⇩) and 15.9ppg (⇧), to go with 4.9apg (⇧), 3.4rpg (⇩), 2.4 steals (⇩) and 0.3 blocks (⇧). She’s shooting 40.6 FG% (⇧) and 26.2 3PT% (⇧), to go with 2.6 TO (⇩) and 1.3 PF (⇩).
[her stats haven’t changed, so maybe she’s hurt?]
- Aijha Blackwell (Baylor): still out with a lower leg injury, hasn’t played since 11/15 vs SMU [sad face]
— — — — — — — — — — — — —
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)