Yesterday at Rock M
Normally this section would be reserved for the second portion of the links post. After all, there are often more stories than we can afford to cover in any one day.
However, there’s a coaching search on and you may have heard that we’re running a special series allowing you, dear reader, to voice your preferences. So, in lieu of promoting anyone above ourselves, let’s do a run down of yesterday’s extensive Rock M Nation coverage of Mizzou’s coaching search and beyond!
- Matt Harris started the day by unveiling the voting results from yesterday’s Steady Risers’ polls. Those results came with a bit of twist after Niko Medved re-upped his contract with Colorado State, so another coach was advanced in his place.
- The “Risk Tolerance” region of our bracket kicked off with Inexperience vs. NCAA danger in the battle of Jerome Tang and Sean Miller. The comments got lively on this one, and you won’t want to miss the profiles of two hot names.
- Part Two of the region detailed Health vs. Troubled Waters, with Thad Matta and Chris Mack duking it out in the polls. This is a fascinating choice, given the CV both coaches boast.
- BK graced us with his presence from football land by writing about the ideal candidate Mizzou Basketball should seek to emulate with its next hire.
[Fran] McCaffery wasn’t some hot shot coach when he was hired at Iowa back in 2010... But then, the switch was flipped. Iowa went from a bottom dweller to a team which consistently finishes in the top half of a powerhouse Big 10 conference. McCaffery has won at least 20 games in eight of his last 11 seasons. He’s made the NCAA Tournament seven times in the last nine years. His teams are annually ranked among the top 20-30 most efficient offenses in the country. He’s built a program as consistent as they come. And he’s done so despite landing just eight blue chip recruits in the last decade.
Ideally, Mizzou gets a high level of talent on its roster... but yeah, this sounds pretty nice.
- The women’s team had its bubble burst on Sunday evening, but there’s still something to play for this March. Lauren wrote about the team’s first official assignment in the Women’s National Invitational Tournament: The Drake Bulldogs.
- The coaching turmoil officially led to the first casualty of Mizzou’s roster on Monday afternoon. Freshman Anton Brookshire entered his name into the portal after a season where he failed to get much playing time before injuring his wrist. There may be a small chance he returns to the roster next season, but we won’t know for sure until the Tigers find their next head coach.
- AND FINALLY, we did have a little bit of non-basketball news on the site yesterday. Kortay covered Mizzou’s successful weekend trip out west, one that saw them drop a road game against No. 25 Gonzaga before taking two straight over San Francisco and Arizona State.
- Oh yeah, I’ll just throw this in there, even if it came on Sunday. Have you joined our 2022 bracket challenge yet? Do it! It’ll be fun and you could get a special shoutout or two on the site!
- Need some good Mizzou news in your life? Of course you do.
Mizzou tomorrow…— Samuel M’Pemba (@SMPEMBA5) March 14, 2022
You may be familiar with M’Pemba, the five-star athlete with St. Louis connections. He’s been on Mizzou’s radar for a while, and seems to be heavily considering the Tigers heading into the summer of his senior year. Maybe Drinkwitz can get ahead of the competition in today’s visit?
- Dave Matter wrote the piece of most substance yesterday re: the coaching search. He ran down an exhaustive list of candidates, and offered some juicy observations on the biggest candidates... including this small comment on Kim English.
A coach’s ability to capitalize on the name, image and likeness looms large over this job and English is the one potential candidate who has the established cachet to connect with the most influential dealmakers in the local market. Several are already on board, multiple sources say.
Multiple sources say, huh? Hmmm...
- Mizzou alum DeMarre Carroll has been vocal about his alma mater since the coaching search started. Now, he’s offering his thoughts on how the Tigers’ next coach could improve the roster talent level quickly.
MIZZOU needs to be super aggressive attacking the Transfer Portal… A lot of unhappy players around the NCAA…— DeMarre Carroll (@DeMarreCarroll1) March 14, 2022
- The Missourian’s Anthony Kristensen plugged this 2019 Las Vegas Sun story about Desiree Reed-Francois’s hiring of T.J. Otzelberger at UNLV, saying it could be helpful in understanding the current search.
- Mizzou Football signee Sam Horn is still playing high school baseball (oh yeah, I guess he signed for that too), and had himself a nice day yesterday.
Sam Horn (‘22, Ga.) drives this pitch into the pull side gap for a 2B. Clean actions all over the field for the #Mizzou commit. #PGHS pic.twitter.com/6QeKlHQBq1— Perfect Game Georgia (@PG_Georgia) March 14, 2022
- Mizzou Softball is heading to Urbana, Il., for the annual Braggin’ Rights series, but now it’s all taking place in the same day — the two teams will play a double-header on Wednesday.
- Oh look, Travis Ford is still desperately looking for a way out of St. Louis.
Travis Ford didn't exactly shut down #Mizzou speculation when I asked him today, but safe to say #SLU AD Chris May feels good about direction of program moving forward, with Ford at the helm. More in tomorrow's @stltoday— Ben Frederickson (@Ben_Fred) March 14, 2022
- Know a college freshman looking for scholly opportunities? Gary Pinkel’s G.P.M.A.D.E. foundation is opening up applications!
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)