On Day 3 of SEC Media Days in Atlanta, there were some Mizzou related notes and quotes to pass along. The first head coach up on Wednesday was Arkansas’ Sam Pittman, and he says that he’s trying to make the Mizzou-Arkansas game more of a rivalry but the Razorbacks haven’t done much winning lately (he’s not wrong!).
Sam Pittman on Mizzou (he's running through the schedule): "We're trying to make it a rivalry game. We hadn't won the game enough to make it a rivalry but we're trying to do that."— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) July 20, 2022
Pittman on former Mizzou head coach Barry Odom:
Sam Pittman: "Barry Odom is a key, key part of the University of Arkansas’ success, especially because he helps me … I’m a work in progress … helps me with head-coaching responsibilities. One of the most loyal, wonderful people in the country."— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) July 20, 2022
And Pittman’s top choice for Arkansas’ three permanent opponents for the future SEC would be Oklahoma, Texas, and Missouri — which just seems like a good regional fit.
Sam Pittman makes his choice clear for Arkansas' three permanent SEC opponents in the future, says playing Oklahoma, Texas and Missouri would be pretty neat.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) July 20, 2022
The Doak Walker Award announced their watch list for the upcoming season, and Mizzou’s incoming transfer Nathaniel Peat is one of 74 running backs in the country to make it. For more on Peat’s invitation to the Doak Walker Watch List, check it out on MUTigers.com.
And we’re officially on football commitment watch right now. Joshua Manning, a four-star wide receiver in the 2023 recruiting class will be announcing his commitment decision later tonight around 9:00 p.m. at Lee’s Summit High School.
Committing tomorrow at 9pm @ Lee’s Summit High School.— Joshua Manning (@joshmanning121) July 20, 2022
This is pretty much a two-way battle between Missouri and Kansas State but the latest 247 Crystal Ball updates have been trending towards Mizzou. So stay tuned!
Onto the links. M-I-Z!
Yesterday at Rock M
- From Dave Matter’s latest Eye on the Tigers podcast: Saban, Tide roll through SEC Media Days
- From Dave Matter’s coverage at SEC Media Days: Georgia legend Stetson Bennett still seeking respect. Hogs gone wild: Razorbacks raise the bar under third-year coach Sam Pittman
- From Blair Kerkhoff: Mizzou’s best team under Drinkwitz? Here’s what the Tigers have to say on today’s pod
- Missouri running back Peat named to Doak Walker Award Watch List, writes Conor Langs
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- Matt Stahl wrote about Greg Sankey weighing in on college football’s issues and what it means for Mizzou
- From Chris Kwiecinski: Mizzou running back and Rock Bridge alum Nate Peat named to Doak Walker watch list
- In the World Athletics Championships, former Mizzou GOAT Karissa Schweizer has advanced to the 5k finals!
- Senior Bowl Executive Director Jim Nagy says that Mizzou has one of the most underrated defensive lines in all of College Football. Robinson, Jeffcoat, and McGuire getting some love!
.@MizzouFootball has one of most underrated DL in CFB with seniors Darius Robinson, Trajan Jeffcoat, & DE Isaiah McGuire. @IsaiahMac_93 has frame (6043v, 271v, 34 3/4 arm) & tools to fit & disrupt in any scheme. Here’s one of most powerful rip moves @seniorbowl seen this summer: pic.twitter.com/cKvS0GzMl0— Jim Nagy (@JimNagy_SB) July 18, 2022
- Our wrestling writer James Hackney on Mizzou’s incoming freshman wrestler, who is now a Fargo All-American:
@MizzouWrestling incoming freshman recruit J Conway placed 6th yesterday to finish as a Fargo All-American at 160lbs!— James Hackney (@FFJames94) July 20, 2022
- Good thread here from Kim English on how he ended up at Mizzou out of high school:
How much do you love and respect the game? I think an effort to get back to that place in youth sports is warranted. Let passion drive improvement.— Kim English (@Englishscope24) July 20, 2022
- Head Coach Dennis Gates speaking at the Rising Coaches Clinic. Lots of good quotes from Gates:
Sometimes you need to leave space for student-athletes to discover things on their own. They need that space to grow.— Rising Coaches (@RisingCoaches) July 20, 2022
If we don't give space for our people to grow and make mistakes, they aren't going to grow.
- @coachdgates, @MizzouHoops#RCC2022 pic.twitter.com/OhuFL9L9n7
I have champions in the 3 C's...— Rising Coaches (@RisingCoaches) July 20, 2022
➡️ On the Court
➡️ In the classroom
➡️ In our Community
Anyone looking through the window should see, feel and hear our core values.
- @coachdgates, @MizzouHoops#RCC2022 pic.twitter.com/ViZ68uDNlY
- Congrats to Justin Colon and Brock Daniels from Mizzou Baseball who have landed on the Appalachian League All-Star rosters!
- From the East-West Shrine Bowl, Mizzou’s Javon Foster and Hyrin White make the list for the Offensive Line position
- PowerMizzou’s Mitchell Forde joined KMOX Sports in St. Louis to discuss the upcoming season for Mizzou Football and how the quarterback competition will play out.
.@Mitchell4D of https://t.co/N71VH1CGXy joined @MattPauleyOnAir on Sports Open Line last night to preview the upcoming Mizzou football season.— KMOXSports (@KMOXSports) July 20, 2022
Full clip: https://t.co/x1HVEdLfWV pic.twitter.com/cJ591zNaFE
- Looking for future Tigers all across the country!
Continuing the search for future Tigers in the following cities ⤵️— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) July 20, 2022
• Lawrence, KS
• Richmond, VA
• Orlando, FL
• Ladera Ranch, CA
• Atlanta, GA
• Cincinnati, OH
• Irvine, CA#OurTownOurTeam pic.twitter.com/4Sky4CZNBv
- Mizzou Women’s Basketball getting the work done in the weight room
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)