Watch List SZN continues...
Harrison Mevis, who was outrageously only good for a preseason Third Team All-SEC selection — was named to the Lou Groza Award Watch List — Mizzou Football announced on Wednesday.
Mevis is one of 30 kickers in the country to be named to the Lou Groza Watch List — and one of four kickers from the SEC.
Last season and 2020, Mevis earned a spot as a semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award. For his career, Mevis is 69-69 on extra point attempts and 40/45 on field goals.
Unfortunately, as Aaron Dryden notes — he will need to be perfect this season to actually win the award (almost unfair, but true).
Best kicker in the country.— Aaron D. (@iAirDry) July 27, 2022
Unfortunately, he’s going to have to go 40/40 on FG’s, 6 of them have to be game winners and he’ll have to go 100/100 on XP’s this season to even have a shot. https://t.co/NMCXE5rQJb
Meanwhile, Eli Drinkwitz joined The Jim Rome Show on CBS Sports Radio and CBS Sports Network. His thoughts on the Tennessee allegations:
On the team’s main focus before going into SEC play:
“I think for us, the number one thing that we want to do is improve on defense. Defense wins championships, and we haven’t been close to a championship level defense quite yet.”
On the quarterback situation:
“Whoever our quarterback is going to be, we’re going to have the ability to let him create. We’re going let him play to his strengths, have the framework for what we what him to do, but let him go out and create.”
And Happy 38th Birthday to former Mizzou GOAT Max Scherzer, who pitched seven scoreless innings against the Yankees last night and struck out AL MVP favorite Aaron Judge three times. Seems good.
Also, in MLB Trade Deadline news, the Yankees have acquired Andrew Benintendi from the Royals. Going to Kansas City in the trade is former Mizzou Baseball pitcher TJ Sikkema, according to Ken Rosenthal. Sikkema, a first-round pick by the Yankees in 2019 ranks 19th in their organization’s top prospects according to MLB Pipeline.
Heading to Royals, per source: Chandler Champlain, Beck Way, TJ Sikkema https://t.co/IgLzs86daX— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 28, 2022
Onto the links. M-I-Z!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Recruiting Reset from Brandon Kiley: Joshua Manning was the recruiting victory the Tigers needed
- From Matthew Smith: Early 174lbs Big 12 Conference Wrestling Preview
- On the latest Eye on the Tigers podcast: Dave Matter and Ben Frederickson break down Mizzou football’s top storylines for preseason camp
- Mevis named to Lou Groza Award Watch List for third straight season, writes Calum McAndrew
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- From Matt Stahl’s SEC summer size-up: Tennessee looking to build upon success in Josh Heupel’s second season
- Check out this Dennis Gates interview with Andy Katz!
- Mizzou Football Kicker commit Blake Craig will play in the 2023 Under Armor All-American Game
Thank you, @CoachDrinkwitz and @CoachErikLink for the @MizzouFootball graphic to announce my commitment to play in the @UANextFootball Game! @MizzouSnipers @LNEagleFootball #MIZ23 pic.twitter.com/AL4F0c1093— Blake Craig (@blake_craig19) July 27, 2022
- Isiaih Mosley is serving as a college counselor at Formula Zero, which is run by Dame Lillard. Cool news here for Isiaih.
Congratulations to Isiaih Mosley on being selected to serve as a college counselor at Formula Zero!— Drew Molitoris (@DrewMolitoris) July 27, 2022
This invite-only experience is limited to 20 HS + 20 college players who will spend five days in Portland working with @Dame_Lillard & @PhilBeckner.
: https://t.co/9TjovrfTyZ pic.twitter.com/yIfAucuMdG
- From Chris Lee and Blake Lovell on The 14 Southeastern, they preview Mizzou Football’s schedule for the upcoming season.
- Shrine Bowl’s Director of Scouting Shane Coughlin has a lot of positives on our guy Martez Manuel!
Martez Manuel (@martezmanuel13) is an energetic SS with a lightning fast trigger and explosive tackling ability⚡️Effective and physical from depth, box, and slot— Shane Coughlin (@Shane__Coughlin) July 27, 2022
Former track star (hurdles+relay), current @MizzouFootball captain, and one of the best SEC DBs #ShrineBowl1000 https://t.co/PzJhBWnc3m pic.twitter.com/PPVarKhtwl
- Check out these new Mizzou Soccer unis!
- Some cool highlights from Mizzou Basketball practice yesterday:
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)