Fall Camp is almost complete!
I can’t believe we’re almost here, friends. A new school year starts Monday… MONDAY(!!!!!!!) and that is just unfathomable to me. Where the hell did this summer go? I think all the scorching temps must’ve gone to my head and erased my memory of May-early August because I swear it’s only been like, a month TOPS since I was helping at my first grad ceremony at the arena.
So, yes, this summer has absolutely flown by, and preseason camp is about to run its course right into the actual football season. To keep fans informed of the team’s progress, Mizzou Football held another public (for reporters) practice sesh on Tuesday afternoon, and Rock M’s own Parker was there to cover it.
Here’s some highlights, but also make sure you read the piece. Parker continues to do great work.
Defensive Coordinator Blake Baker on deciding on a starting defensive lineup:
“We’re inching closer to that “Top 22” as I like to say. Now, we’re teaching how to do it after teaching what to do early in camp.”
Baker on Ja’Marion Wayne’s position switch from WR to DB:
“Ja’Marion Wayne is at the free safety spot, and he definitely flashes. He’s ‘yessir, no sir,’ always smiling. You can see him in the last 3 days picking the system up. It is absolutely realistic that he sees the field.”
Ryan Hoerstkamp on the Tight End room’s positive atmosphere:
“When everybody is on the same page, it’s easy to have fun, especially when you’re always around the facility. In the weight room, on the field, we’ll even get mosh pits going sometimes.”
Barrett Banister (TWO R & ONE N, get it right, people!!!) on the team’s improved bond:
“Intentionality. There was some stuff with our locker room we needed to get rid of after last year, so this offseason we were very intentional about building that brotherhood and making sure everyone could hold anybody accountable.”
Moving on. Dave Matter went on the Big Sports Show Tuesday evening, and Sammy said it’s “good stuff.” Because we trust our pal Mr Stava implicitly, you should give it a listen. That and Matter is always great.
Tuesday was apparently “National Tell a Joke Day” and Mizzou Football’s got jokes.
It's National Tell A Joke Day! #MIZ pic.twitter.com/lzrUMT19Cp— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) August 16, 2022
On to the Links!
Hope all the KCMO people celebrating 816 Day had a great Tuesday!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Dive Cuts Season 6 arrives with fresh new intro music and a deep dive into targets and future recruiting classes.
- Parker’s got a recap of another (public) day of Mizzou Football camp.
- Another week, another roundtable, and this week The Football Dudes (TM pending) chat Mizzou’s exciting secondary. Thanks to Josh, Nate the Great and Parker for the assist.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Calum McAndrew wrote about the addition to former Florida Gator Ty’Ron Hopper to the linebacker corps.
- PowerMizzou/Rivals: Episode 2 of the new ‘Mizzou, That’s Who’ podcast/YouTube show, featuring Mizzou super fan Maggie Johnson, Gabe DeArmond and Tucker Franklin. In this episode, they discuss Luther Burden expectations. You can also view a camp video of Cody Schrader and read Sean Williams’ piece about prospect Caleb Lomu.
- Columbia Tribune: Matt Stahl told readers what to know as Mizzou football enters final week of preseason camp and What Mizzou football is focused on ahead of opener vs. Louisiana Tech in two weeks.
- The Athletic: Subscribers can check out the SEC Roundtable, which features a few references to Luther Burden. I’ll share one part of it; if you want more you’ll have to subscribe. One writer referenced his game-ready body and supreme ball skills.
- Speaking of Mr Burden....
On3 Preseason True Freshman All-American: Missouri WR Luther Burdenhttps://t.co/acHhf2Myth pic.twitter.com/EyIfv3sxdK— On3 (@On3sports) August 16, 2022
- The student section officially has a new name: The Zou. Check them out on the twitters.
August 16, 2022
Other Mizzou Sports
- Looks like Missouri will be participating in the Hall of Fame Classic in KCMO next season, FanDuel and Jon Rothstein reported on Monday. Creighton is also involved in this event, per reports, and two other yet to be named teams.
NEWS: Creighton and Missouri will participate in the 2023 Hall of Fame Classic in Kansas City, according to multiple sources.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) August 15, 2022
Other two teams in the event are currently TBD.https://t.co/fiSio922Wn
- According to Missourian reports, incoming men’s golf freshman Jose Antonio Safa missed the cut by two strokes at the U.S. Amateur after a two-round total of 7-over 148 over Monday and Tuesday in Paramus, New Jersey.
Mizzou in Pro Hoops
- Happy birthday, hopefully soon-to-be Most Improved WNBA star, Soph!!!
Happy Birthday to the Tiger reppin’ her city on the biggest stage pic.twitter.com/dnTH1CCIhi— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) August 16, 2022
Mizzou in the NFL
- Tyree Gillespie is getting traded to the Tennessee Titans, per reports. Best wishes, Tyree!
Las Vegas Raiders trading Tyree Gillespie to the Tennessee Titans, per a league source @PFN365— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) August 16, 2022
- Well, this is so cute. Chase Daniel completed 11-17 passes for 117 yards, to go with 2 TD and 0 INT in Sunday’s 29-22 loss to the Rams (ew).
All the feels!! P-Man is finally understanding what daddy does for a living and started tearing up when I ran out of the tunnel last night! @chargers @NFL pic.twitter.com/8iz9Q1xdvK— Chase Daniel (@ChaseDaniel) August 14, 2022
- Awwww, man. Drew Lock fans just can’t have nice things, huh? Right after our fave Seahawk practices with the 1s, he tests positive for the Covid and will miss the preseason game against the Chicago Bears.
Mizzou fans right now https://t.co/LRlWG9TNfA pic.twitter.com/WHCQEWStbU— Karen S (@karensteger) August 17, 2022
Mizzou in Major League Baseball
- Uh-oh. Get well soon, Tanner Houck. Looks like he has a disc issue in his owner back.
The latest on Tanner Houck questions the right-hander's season moving forward. https://t.co/o9DSDGz2Ez— NESN (@NESN) August 16, 2022
Cool Stuff featuring Mizzou Sports Journalists, etc.
- My press box friend (and Missourian writer) Chris Blake’s fantasy football show on KCOU 88.1FM debuts today at 11am. Give it a listen if you feel so inclined.
Fantasy is Reality returns tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. CT on KCOU 88.1 FM! @cole_banker and @Chris_Blake14 are back to catch you up on a busy NFL offseason and set the table for your fantasy football season.— Fantasy is Reality (@FantasyKCOU) August 16, 2022
Tune in live on https://t.co/q8CWx15h5v or find us on the @tunein app!
- And my OTHER press box friend (and Maneater writer/sports editor) Brandon Haynes was a guest on Finebaum on Tuesday, talking Mizzou! You can view it on the ESPN app!
We continue our visits with student reporters today:— Paul Finebaum (@finebaum) August 16, 2022
3:30 ET - MISS @aidangallard0
4:15 ET - SCAR @camryndixon6
5:30 ET - MIZ @BrandonHaynes_
And we start our show today at 3 ET with Arkansas QB @kj_jefferson2 pic.twitter.com/z2EnWGUtPW
- Hey, I know that girl! I’ve been working super hard and wanted to share my recent graphic design work for the J-School. #lovemyjob
Hey new #Mizzou J-Schoolers, make sure you come to our @mujschool Welcome Week event Friday in RJI from 11-1 to pick up some cool swag and learn about/join some awesome orgs and get all your pressing questions answered. I planned the event and am so, so excited to see you! MIZ! pic.twitter.com/R61WMsmoqm— Karen S (@karensteger) August 17, 2022
— — — — — — — — — — — — —
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)