Two days and counting...
We’re two days out from game night, y’all! Stay with our page this week while football coverage continues to ramp up.
In the meantime, here are the big highlights from yesterday’s media availability.
- Blake Baker and Eli Drinkwitz spoke about Louisiana Tech’s short king Smoke Harris, who represents a challenge for Mizzou’s defense... physically and mentally.
“I’ve got a lot of familiarity with him,” Baker said. “He’s an explosive playmaker, dynamic with the ball in his hands. He loves to talk, so we’ll be ready for that. But no, he’s a really good football player. He’s tough. Like I said, he will be up for the challenge.”
- Chris Kwiecinski gave his depth chart takeaways from yesterday’s media availability and highlighted the experience Baker has at his hands on the defensive line.
Last season, the defensive line had Trajan Jeffcoat and Akial Byers as clear-cut starters without an “or” next to their name.
This depth chart is more established, putting Jeffcoat, Darius Robinson, Isaiah McGuire and Jayden Jernigan as first-team players.
Jernigan is one of four transfer defensive linemen from this offseason who made appearances on the depth chart. DJ Coleman, Kristian Williams and Josh Landry were listed as second-team players.
- Baker also spoke about his unit’s sense of urgency, especially after Eli Drinkwitz made clear that the start of last season wasn’t good enough from a defensive perspective.
“The sense of urgency has been there since day 1,” Baker said. “We had two 20-minute walk-throughs after I got announced as coordinator. It’s been non-stop but I think we’ve come a long way in a short period of time.
- You can get even more Blake Baker content at the Kansas City Star, where Baker guested on KC Sportsbeat podcast yesterday to discuss the impending season.
- Things you love to hear:
After dealing with a foot injury last year, Mizzou WR Mookie Cooper says he’s 195% this year.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) August 29, 2022
“Close to 200%.”
Other things you love to hear:
Mizzou DC Blake Baker on Tiger Talk says CB Dreyden Norwood might be the defense's most improved player. First-year transfer from Texas A&M.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) August 30, 2022
Even more things that you love to hear!
" I think bro gon' ball"— Chanel Porter (@ChanelABC17news) August 30, 2022
Seems like WR Mookie Cooper (@mcgetbusy1) is confident that freshman Luther Burden (@lutherburden3) will live up to the hype #Mizzou ⤵️ pic.twitter.com/jdi15psCWI
Yesterday at Rock M
- In which Nate analyzes the year’s first depth chart!
- In which Karen and other staff members review some of the fine NIL products Mizzou athletes have on the market
- In which Brady Cook and others address the media just a few days before Louisiana Tech
- Things you don’t love to hear: Rece Davis raining on your parade.
“I’m telling you I don’t have high hopes for the Tigers this year,” Davis said.
“Why,” [ESPN Reporter Pete] Thamel asked.
“The schedule looks brutal,” Davis said. “Let’s wait and see about the quarterback. I was going to bring up (Luther) Burden, too, so I’m glad you did. I think the hill may be a little tough. They’ve got Kansas State, who I’m really high on.”
- It’s “Five Things to Watch” season, hurray! Blair Kerkhoff’s include Tech’s shiny new quarterback, while Dave Matter is much more concerned about attendance numbers.
- Mizzou’s defense will get a shot at yet another Air Raid offense on Thursday. Dave Matter writes about Sonny Cumbie’s system and why last year’s 3-9 record may not be indicative of the challenge facing the Tigers.
- There are still hill tix available for Thursday night’s game. Have you ever sat on the hill? Don’t be a wimp... cozy up with a few of those big-ass stones and enjoy yourself some college football.
- While football soaks up all the attention, Dennis Gates continue to move.
2024 four-star forward Marcus Allen will be visiting Missouri from Sept. 17-19, he tells ZAGSBLOG.— Jacob Polacheck (@JacobPolacheck) August 29, 2022
No. 47 overall prospect in the nation, per 247Sports Composite.
He broke down his recruitment for ZAGSBLOG at Peach Jam last month: https://t.co/m3PzgdZuI7 pic.twitter.com/mM8hUYbR9x
As Matt points out on Twitter, Allen is a summer teammate of Trent Pierce’s. He’ll also be visiting the same weekend as five-star John Bol, formerly of Christian Brothers College High School.
- It’s been known for a minute, but Jordan Clarkson is officially off playing basketball for the Philippines team.
- Look who’s on the call this Thursday night!
Humbled & Honored to be Going back to CoMo! Game day analysis…ESPNU @7Ct #Giddyup ⤴️. Stec pic.twitter.com/54fsoifQpZ— Dave Steckel (@CoachStec59) August 30, 2022
Seems like there might be too much defense for Stec’s liking, but hey, maybe Baker can show him a good time?
- Looking to celebrate Gary Pinkel’s career and support his foundation at the same time? An opportunity has come!
Announcement: individual tickets are now available for an Evening with GP. Limited availability, secure yours soon! #GaryPinkel #MIZ #Mizzou #MizzouFootball pic.twitter.com/SUQ54bP9g3— GP M.A.D.E. Foundation (@gpmade_) August 29, 2022
- SEC Coaches picked Mizzou’s cross country teams to finish sixth and eighth, respectively, in the 2022 session.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)