I don’t know how they do it.
Dear readers, I used to be able to stand the mid-Missouri heat. I was a lifeguard for a long time, so I spent 40+ hours a week outdoors, soaking up the sun in 100 degree weather. I don’t know if it’s because now I have jobs where I’m mainly indoors, but now, hellll no. I have no desire to even walk from my office to the car anymore, so the fact that Mizzou’s football players have been out in this heat, just baking in the sun while practicing (at least they’re not in full pads yet) is wild to me. I couldn’t do it. I wouldn’t do it.
The good news is, they’ve finally got a day off before they have six more straight days of practice! Let’s check in on some photos first from Mizzou Athletics’ Mikayla Schmidt.
Dave Matter’s recent chat at STLToday.com covered a lot of different football-related topics. Since it’s for subscribers, what I’ll share is minimal.
When asked about a QB rotation to utilize the guys’ different strengths, Matter was quick to point out that many of them have similar strengths, so really, there wouldn’t be much point in rotating.
If you say running ability, I’d make the case Cook and Macon are pretty similar in terms of speed and athleticism. Cook doesn’t get enough credit for his abilities as an athlete and runner. And I’d say based on the small sample sizes we’ve seen, he’s a much better passer. So, unless one of them has changed their games/strengths dramatically, I don’t see a huge upside in rotating them.
Someone asked for a comparison of Luther Burden III to the Mizzou WR of yesteryear.
He’s not as tall and rangy as Justin Gage or Danario Alexander but he’s bulkier than Jeremy Maclin. I’d say those three were the best Tiger receivers of their generation - and if he compares favorably to one of them it would be Maclin. Explosive, good hands, strong after the catch, return ability.
Mic’d up w/ Drink!
Hot mic comin' at ya. ️#MIZ pic.twitter.com/FshYzo1VnC— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) August 4, 2022
Next, let’s check in with Parker’s latest from camp.
Drinkwitz on the improved depth in the trenches: We needed to improve at the line of scrimmage, especially against the run, cause we didn’t have a lot of depth. Transfers have come in and fought for a lot of playing time which is what I wanted to see.”
Xavier Delgado on how this team seems different compared to last few: The coaching staff has made a point of getting the team together, Coach Drink really emphasizes the camaraderie, which will really help when we are in the trenches during the season.”
Quick Notes from practice:— Parker Gillam (@gillam_parker) August 4, 2022
1) The O-linemen definitely have the most fun during warm-ups, asking for more "juice" from coaches and getting on to late players.
2) A Seahawks and Bengals scout were in attendance.
3) Defense won most reps vs. the offense when practicing run plays.
QB Drills from Matt Stahl at the Trib!
Here’s Mizzou’s quarterbacks going through a drill at practice earlier this morning pic.twitter.com/rGSDCpxLg5— Matt Stahl (@mattstahl97) August 4, 2022
On to the links!
Yesterday at Rock M:
- Aaron tells us that Mizzou needs their DTs to show out in 2022
- Fall Camp is here! Check out the newest BTBS podcast with Nate and BK!
- Parker continues to report and catch some quotes from Mizzou Football practice
- Coming up: Guest contributor Dan Keegan has a nice two-parter about Eli Drinkwitz and his backfield usage the next two mornings
- Columbia Tribune: How Mizzou cornerback Ennis Rakestraw’s relationship with his mom aided his 10-month torn ACL recovery (Chris Kwiecinski) | What Connor Tollison hopes will help him earn Mizzou football’s starting center job (Matt Stahl)
- PowerMizzou/Rivals: Camp Interview: Connor Tollison (Gabe DeArmond) | LB target Dickson Agu has “amazing” visit with Mizzou (Sean Williams) | Drinkwitz on WR corps: “I’ve seen enough out of those guys” (Gabe)
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Who succeeds All-SEC Tyler Badie? Mizzou running back job up for grabs (Calum McAndrew)
- Watch list for Isaiah McGuire!
Blessed https://t.co/yyNj8zAwRu— Isaiah McGuire9️⃣ (@IsaiahMac_93) August 4, 2022
- Check in with ABC17 News Director, Nathalie Jones:
Watch interviews with #Mizzou football coach Eli Drinkwitz and OL Connor Tollison as the competition for a starting center continues ⤵️https://t.co/dwQNyszr5v— Nathalie Jones (@NathalieJonesTV) August 4, 2022
- Of note:
For context, Finley is competing with Zach Calzada - former Texas A&M Aggie - for Auburn's QB job.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) August 4, 2022
Dennis Gates at the Ballpark
Truman & Fredbird joining forces in St. Louis tonight! Mizzou Night at Busch! #Mizzou basketball coach Dennis Gates throwing out the first pitch! Strike! @MizzouHoops pic.twitter.com/L2DrkoDTDg— Rod Smith (@RodKRCG13) August 4, 2022
It’s @Mizzou Night pic.twitter.com/aNbPk2iLY4— Dennis Gates (@coachdgates) August 4, 2022
Coach Dennis Gates is in the house for @Mizzou Night at Busch— Bally Sports Midwest (@BallySportsMW) August 4, 2022
His message for Mizzou fans: "Let's do it together. ... I truly believe our fan base, our enthusiasm, our excitement is there. ... You'll see an unbelievable environment with some results." @MizzouHoops pic.twitter.com/y7neA2nKYb
Great pregame conversation with @Cardinals skipper Oliver Marmol. Thanks for the hospitality & looking forward to more chats on leadership. pic.twitter.com/rRkVyCDpD0— Dennis Gates (@coachdgates) August 5, 2022
MIZZOU Night w/ @Cardinals was a blast https://t.co/DyYX1Nca56— Dennis Gates (@coachdgates) August 5, 2022
- Eye emojis
Brown's a Chicago native, top-40 talent, St. Rita product, and ran with Meanstreets this summer. MU's had a consistent presence watching him and Nojus Indrusaitis at 16U games. Also teammates with Illinois commit Morez Johnson and close with Michigan State pledge Jeremy Fears. https://t.co/0tWO7ufQH7— Matt Harris (@MattJHarris85) August 4, 2022
- Interesting statement from Mizzou Volleyball player Brynn Carlson
The board took no action on proposed changes to transfer rules. It plans to revisit the issue after the Transformation Committee addresses concerns that have been raised by the membership, including the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and Council. pic.twitter.com/uvSwkKfL4j— Inside the NCAA (@InsidetheNCAA) August 3, 2022
Mizzou in the Pros/History
- It was a tough day for the W in general with the news of Brittney Griner’s conviction and 9-year sentence, but especially the Phoenix Mercury (13-19), who have had to worry about their friend, teammate, and family member since her detainment February 12.
It was yet another loss for PHX, as they couldn’t beat the Connecticut Sun (22-10), who have already clinched their playoff spot. Sophie played 30 minutes in the loss, scoring 10 points on 4-12 shooting (2-7 from three) with 3 REB, 1 AST, 1 STL, 1 BLK, and 1 TO. She was -17 on the night.
A steal from Breezy ➡️ the bucket from Soph. pic.twitter.com/WqKhUYDJhv— Phoenix Mercury (@PhoenixMercury) August 4, 2022
- MPJ getting back at it (video courtesy of former Rock M photographer, Sean East)
Michael Porter Jr has been working and is ready to GO #MPJ ( : @_seanwest_) pic.twitter.com/5hDQIfYrc2— Michael Messer (@mmesser30) August 4, 2022
- This is a great statement from former Mizzou softball player, Kris Schmidt
"The benefits of playing sports, competing as a collegiate athlete, & competing at an elite level in sports, most certainly prepared me for my life as a Secret Service agent and beyond."— Southeastern Conference (@SEC) August 4, 2022
Kris Schmidt, @MizzouSoftball
https://t.co/xnOFP1jfzS#ItJustMeansMore x #TitleIX50 pic.twitter.com/jxOt344xnY
— — — — — — — — — — — — —
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)