Imagine my surprise when I saw an actual article on STL Today about... (gasp)... Mizzou soccer! All I can say is, it’s about damn time (to be sung in my best Lizzo voice). We have a newly-created beat writer role for non-rev generating sports here at Rock M— I actually hate that we (the media) distinguish them by calling them “non-revenue” sports, by the way. That phrase, regardless of its validity, hurts my soul. NR sports tend to get less coverage because they don’t draw in the eyes quite like a terrible football team (sorry, it’s true). I’ve been reminded of this as I watch our site stats. Even Lauren’s recent article, where they legit talked to WNBA players about a transfer, or my softball coverage which I worked my ass off on, didn’t get that many hits.
But I digress, because we are here to pump up some SOCCER COVERAGE.
Anyway, so Adeen Rao, Rock M’s newest aspiring freshman sports journo, has been covering every home soccer game for us and he gets into.it. Following along with his reactions on the twitter has been so fun, and I recommend checking him out here on the bird site.
- They beat kU
- They have amazing defense, and can wall teams
- They upset an undefeated ranked Auburn team in their SEC Opener
- They play at an extremely high level, and have a very likeable coach in Coach Golan
- They have a very lively atmosphere at the games
As for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch article, let’s take a look at what Joe Lyons wrote about Golan’s thoughts on the team’s progression. After the top-25 win over Auburn just last week, the second ranked team takedown of her tenure at Missouri, Stefanie had this to say:
“We’re not where we want to be, but we feel like we’re moving in the right direction,” Golan said. “At this point, we’re still in our infancy, so check back and ask me about our progress in three years. But we’re making positive steps. I like the style of soccer we’re playing, I feel like recruiting is moving in a positive direction and I’m happy with the trajectory of the program.
The rest of the article dives deeper into how she got the Mizzou role, which is a cool story about a convo with Bryan Blitz, as well as how she got into coaching and what she sees for this Tiger team. It’s a good read.
As for Thursday night’s game in Baton Rouge, after the Tigers took a 1-0 lead in the first half, everyone thought they’d be able to pull it off. After all, Mizzou had been pretty unstoppable in the second half so far this season.
Here’s what we were looking at in the first half, stat-wise, as well as that beautiful goal from Kylie Dobbs.
Alas, those other Tigers showed what’s made them nearly unbeatable this season. If you read my links yesterday, I mentioned that LSU had outscored its opponents 24-10 and outshot its opponents 59-37. Thursday was no different, as they tied it up at 74’ on their first shot on goal and then took the lead for good at 84’.
Per the MUTigers.com recap, the teams were evenly matched across the stats with Mizzou edging LSU in shots (13-12) and corners (8-5), and both squads each having five shots on goal.
This leaves Golan’s Tigers still searching for their first road win of the season, which I am sure will come soon. As Adeen alluded to, this bunch is too feisty on both sides of the ball to not be able to get it done.
Up next, Mizzou returns home to Walton Soccer Stadium to take on Vanderbilt on Sunday, First kick is scheduled for 1pm, and I’m betting Adeen will be there to cover it for the site.
On to the Links!
I don’t care if he’s not playing for Mizzou any longer. I’ve got to wish a happy birthday to one of my forever faves, Javon Pickett! If he’s not a Missouri Tiger, this is definitely the next best thing. Can’t wait to watch him play for the Bills!
Oh, and Go Tigers. Beat those… other Tigers!
Yesterday at Rock M
- BK reacted to YOUR reaction survey answers about the Mizzou’s chances at bowl eligibility
- Sammy, ever my Links lifesaver when I need a switch-a-roo, is back with a new Q&A, this time with Jack Condon of College And Magnolia. Conversely, his convo was published on their site as well.
- A BTBS podcast presents a TIGER FIGHT. Only one tiger can win. who will it be?
Heads up on the weekend’s podcast: BK will be prancing around LA this weekend, so listeners will find a new voice on the wrap up pod: PARKER!!!
- Fit checks! Nate says that while our play is not elite, these costumes are decidedly so
- Coming up: Mizzou Hoops content doesn’t care about football, and Sam previews the next two non-cons: UCF ( playing in Miami, not central FL) and SEMO | a new Pregamin’ | all the normal post game coverage you could want
- In case you missed it: Parker re-evaluated the 2022 Missouri Tigers | Lauren interviewed some WNBA stars about new Tiger Kate Gilbert | Josh continues to KILL IT with these ridiculous Revue pieces | During Covid lockdown in April 2020, some Rock M writers conducted a “Mizzou boxed set” movie draft. As I was discussing this during lunch on Thursday, I’d thought I’d re-share it. It’s honestly my finest work.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Read the transcript from Matter’s Thursday (subscriber) chat | SEC Week 4 predictions: Tennessee’s time to shine? (Matter) | Eye on the Tigers Podcast w/ Matter, BenFred & special guest Bennett Durando: The heat is on for Auburn, Mizzou | A deep dive into Mizzou’s toothless offense (Calum McAndrew)
- PowerMizzou/Rivals: New Target Profile: 2024 WR David Dossett (Sean Williams) | Eli Drinkwitz is coaching against Auburn because of Bryan Harsin (Jarod Hamilton)
- Columbia Tribune/USA Today Network: How Mizzou football aims to improve its tackling in SEC opener vs. Auburn (Matt Stahl) | 3 things to know about Mizzou’s next opponent (Stahl) | Can Mizzou cover teh spread against Auburn? (Stahl)
- Kansas City Star: The flags have been flying for Missouri Tigers’ offensive line, and not in a good way (Blair Kerkhoff)
- Saturday Down South: Mizzou releases injury report for Week 4 matchup at Auburn, which has two RBs who ma be MIA. (Sydney Hunte)
- Various outlets: Mizzou J School alum Bennett Durando looked into the reports of Auburn QB TJ Finley not suiting up against Missouri (Montgomery Advisor) | Q&A with St. Louis Post-Dispatch correspondent Calum McAndrew (247 Sports, VIP)
- Now presenting: Deep Thoughts from Bryan Harsin….
Bryan Harsin said on Tiger Talk that "when we play, we'll have a quarterback on the field."— Justin Hokanson (@_JHokanson) September 22, 2022
So, Auburn will play a quarterback on Saturday is the official tweet.
- For those of us that thought that the NCAA might actually come down on LSU regarding the basketball infractions finally, CONGRATS.... you’re a chump (like me). It’s about football. And I’ll have to find it, but predictably, they weren’t hit hard. Just some scholly reductions and a show cause for an OL coach. (more from SI)
Of note here: this is NOT the LSU case that went to the IARP involved mens basketball and football allegations. This is a separate LSU case. Not the mushroom-cloud case that has been covered intensively. https://t.co/NNTXTWWDmD— Pat Forde (@ByPatForde) September 22, 2022
- In former player news, hoping Shawn Robinson is okay.
Chris Klieman on Missouri transfer Shawn Robinson: "He has left the football team."— Kellis Robinett (@KellisRobinett) September 17, 2022
Hoops, Crootin’ & Visits
- Hey, Anthony! Nice to see your soon-to-be coach coming to see you!
- Hey, 2023 target Kris Parker! Levi would like it noted that CY’s arm is “too high” on the back? [Hitch reference]
- UCBA owner Tracy Zhang shared his thoughts about the recent visits of two of his stars:
- Mizzou great Travon Bryant’s nephew got a visit from HCDG
Mizzou’s Dennis Gates will be in today for five-star junior Carter Bryant, he told @Stockrisers. Gonzaga’s staff was in yesterday for the Top-10 prospect.— Jake (@jakeweingarten) September 22, 2022
- A visit I don’t think we mentioned previously:
Mizzou is sending an assistant in today for Top-40 junior Dallas Thomas, he told @Stockrisers. Oklahoma State, LSU, and SMU are also working on a date to come in and see Thomas this week.— Jake (@jakeweingarten) September 21, 2022
Other Mizzou Sports/General
- Uhhhh... Apparently the Rock M staff missed a whole ‘nother commitment from over the weekend for Larissa’s squad. Oops. Welcome, Riley.
Zache, a 2024 recruit from South Bend, Ind., is listed as a catcher/SS for her HS, but can play a multitude of positions. Extra Innings ranks her as the no. 48 player in the 2024 class. She has a younger sister, Blakely, who is very good and pitched a perfect game last season.
Stats from MaxPreps for 2021-22 season. OKAY...
- Mizzou Gymnastics is taking over the IG of Inside Gymnastics on Friday. We love to see it, ladies.
- Here’s the new swim schedule!
Mizzou in the Pros/Hodgepodge
- Some of my faves here:
Mizzou most 10 tackle games in NFL-Sean Weatherspoon 9, Justin Smith 6, Nick Bolton 5, Terez Hall2, Otis Smith 2, Charles Harris 1, Sheldon Richardson 1, Aldon Smith1, E.J. Gaines 1, Markus Golden 1, William Moore 1— Tom Orf (@MU4124) September 22, 2022
- Unrelated to Mizzou, but I just really love this. Cardinals fans have been so lucky to be a part of this.
Not just teammates, but brothers. pic.twitter.com/L6HIkZf6Op— St. Louis Cardinals (@Cardinals) September 22, 2022
— — — — — — — — — — — — —
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)