Mizzou v. K-State Matchup News & Notes
As has become custom for me for the Wednesday links, I’ll share some football notes from Tuesday’s press conference, social media, and local writers’ stories. Let’s get to it.
Parker’s notebook focused solely on the defensive side of the ball and what we may be able to expect from Saturday’s opponent, Kansas State.
Former OK State Cowboy Jayden Jernigan is familiar with KSU from his time in the Big XII.
“They were fast, the quarterback is able to move. Running back is a good athlete, able to hit the holes fast. We just have to be disciplined and we’ll do well.”
Both Blake Baker and several players brought up RB Deuce Vaughn, and for good reason. I heard on the radio (KTGR Big Show) on Tuesday afternoon that he’s quicker than Badie, so the Tigers would not have familiarity matching up in practice with someone of his caliber.
“What doesn’t’ he do well? He’s a dynamic payer, and what really separates him is the vision, patience, and his balance. He can do it all. I’d be hard-pressed to find any better than him.”
From Jayden Jernigan & Jaylon Carlies, on what the team must do to stop him:
“Everybody stays in their gap, not giving Deuce an option to take to one gap then hit another.” -Jernigan
“Coming in at great angles and preparing yourself.” - Carlies
Matt Stahl’s story at the Columbia Tribune focused on what improvements Drinkwitz would like to see this weekend. Here’s some of what Drinkwitz had to say:
“If we’re worried about last week or patting ourselves on the back and all that bullcrap, we’re in for a tough day,” Missouri coach Eli Drinkwitz said to local media on Tuesday. “We’ve got to have a mature mindset of put that away, take what you take from tape, learn, get better and focus on this new task at hand.”
“I think all of us look at that tape and know that we can be better in the run game, making sure that we’re cleaner,” Drinkwitz said. “I thought our track of the backs and path of the backs was off in some of our run schemes, so there’s a whole lot for us to clean up.”
Besides facing an explosive offense, the Tigers will also have to contend with a sold-out stadium in Manhattan. That will be a cool experience, and I would imagine there will be a good black & gold contingent on hand. While it might be the most boring drive ever, it’s not that far (under 4 hours).
It’s Mizzou week for K-State, a game that sold out before week one did. In an unexpected twist, Chris Klieman says it’s going to be a big challenge. pic.twitter.com/66I7JzzjJ7— Sully Engels (@sullyengels) September 6, 2022
Tuesday pressers also mean an injury report update. For the KSU trip, the Tigers will be I without the following, per Dave Matter:
WR Peanut Houston (hamstring) is going to be unavailable for a while. Freshman WR Mekhi Miller has practiced with top unit, could see more playing time.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) September 6, 2022
Really wishing Chance Luper the best and hope he’s okay. For him to be expected to be out this long, it sounds extremely serious.
On to the Links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- THE REVUE is back, and my god, it is magnificent. Josh just does unbelievable work on these. It’s funny, it’s witty, it’s so absurd. I give it a 5/5 full bags of Luther Chips, the only real metric things can be measured by at Mizzou now.
- Adeen previewed the WBB non-con, dividing the schedule into three sections.
- Sammy shared the Top 25 poll, as well as his own SEC Power Rankings.
- Parker shared a notebook from Tuesday’s defensive press conference.
- IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: Jackson wrote about the performance of the new “STAR” role | Three newcomers make the season’s first MV3 | Good’s two second-half goals result in victory over rival kU | Listen to the new BTBS pod, recording IN PERSON
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Watch the new Ten Hochman: Mizzou’s Luther Burden in the wildcat vs. Kansas State Wildcats? (Benjamin Hochman)
- PowerMizzou/Rivals: Listen to the Tuesday Tiger Recruiting Show w/ Gabe DeArmond & Sean Williams | 2024 Early Look— Athletes (Sean Williams) | Listen to Ep. 5 of Mizzou, That’s Who (DeArmond, Maggie Johnson, Tucker Franklin) | Everything Eli Drinkwitz said on Tuesday heading into Week 2 at K-State (Jarod Hamilton)
- Columbia Tribune: How Drinkwitz wants Mizzou to improve against Kansas State (Matt Stahl)
- KC Star: Even after good vibes in victory, Missouri Tigers know they must clean up mistakes (Blair Kerkhoff)
- MUTigers.com: Watch Tuesday’s press conference
- The Athletic ($$): Check out The Athletic 131 CFB rankings, where Missouri finds itself in the no. 54 position in the same section as teams like Auburn & WVU (Chris Vannini)
- Columbia Missourian: Battle in the trenches: Drinkwitz discusses OL play, strong K-State defensive front (Jack Soble) | Missouri gets its first glimpse at new transfer Marcus Clarke (Kyle Pinnell)
- Looks like Miami transfer Marcus Clarke has made it onto the practice field. Whether or not we will see him in a game is yet to be determined.
Former Miami cornerback Marcus Clarke has officially joined Missouri's team, practicing today, wearing No. 29. No official word if he'll need a waiver to see the field.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) September 6, 2022
- Looks like 4-star commit Anthony Robinson II made it onto campus this past weekend. LOVE.
- Noteworthy, per Matt W.
HDI is thrilled to be working with the @SEC! Starting with the 2023-24 season, HDI will work directly with every men’s basketball program in the SEC, providing proprietary data and expertise to help optimize non-conference schedules. pic.twitter.com/GF6Z4p7Hwe— HD Intelligence (@HDIntelligence) September 6, 2022
- Oh, hey!!! We know him!
- Hey, you. Basketball fans. It’s time to renew your season tickets. The deadline is Friday. Click the links here for more info. Mens | Womens
Other Mizzou Sports
- Reminder from Dennis Gates about what’s on tap for Mizzou Athletics this week... many an away game.
No home events this week, but we are with you guys in spirit! @MizzouMensGolf will be in action today (NY), & Fri, Sat & Sun (NC). @MizzouVB is @ Kansas State on Wed. @MizzouSoccer is @ Illinois on Thurs. @MizzouFootball is @ Kansas State on Sat. #MizzouMonday #HappyLaborDay— Dennis Gates (@coachdgates) September 5, 2022
- Big congrats to Mizzou Softballer Hannah McGivern, who got married this weekend. Scroll through the pics- the third one is hilarious. Chaumont’s face is like... “holy $%#^”.
- Here’s a boomerang from head coach Larissa Anderson.
- Keep it up, ladies! Per MUTigers.com, the Tigers are set to face Kansas State. Mizzou (4-2) trails Kansas State (6-2) 43-33 in the all-time series.
Crootin & Commitments
- Well... those of us into MBB coaching will recognize this man’s name. Chris Mack’s daughter has verbally committed to playing VB for the Tigers. Welcome, Hailee!
- Looks like #TigerStyle welcomed in two big-name visitors recently. Joel Adams, no. 2 nationally at 145lbs in the 2023 class, was on campus, as well as no. 8 nationally at 184lbs in the 2024 class, Aeoden Sinclair.
Huge recruiting visit for @MizzouWrestling— James Hackney, SPT (@FFJames94) September 3, 2022
Class of 2023
#2 at 145lbs Joel Adams
Class of 2024
#3 at 113lbs Hunter Taylor
#14 at 126lbs Christopher Coates
#11 at 152lbs Charlie Millard
#8 at 182lbs Aeoden Sinclair pic.twitter.com/8xiVo8Q7W2
Looks like #8 overall 2024 recruit Aeoden Sinclair was at Faurot last night. Recently won Wisconsin state and a Fargo national title at 182lbs. pic.twitter.com/CiCLvaGv6V— James Hackney, SPT (@FFJames94) September 2, 2022
- East St Louis’ Macaleab Rich narrowed his list and is set to announce 9/26.
On Missouri: “Missouri is a nice program. It’s only two hours away from home with a great coaching staff and some cool players on and off the court with a beautiful campus.”
Rich visited Mizzou recently. Will be in Manhatten this week for the Mizzou-KSU game. https://t.co/9OykqyBNV1— Order On The Court (@DataMizzou) September 6, 2022
Mizzou in the Pros / Other
- Nick Bolton set for a huge season? Peter Schrager explains (Cole Thompson, SDS)
- Kash has signed with a new team, per IG
- Mizzou Softball were guests at the Cardinals game this weekend.
- This is awesome for Bryce.
Such an incredible journey for Bryce Montes de Oca to get to the Majors with the #Mets.— Jacob Resnick (@Jacob_Resnick) September 3, 2022
Drafted in 2018
Shoulder surgery that year
Back surgery in 2019
ACL surgery in 2020
Made his pro debut in 2021
14 K/9 in AAA this year
And he’s still touching 102 mph after all that.
- Awww… J3!!!!! Definitely my favorite former Tiger who got away. I’d be remiss not to share this one..
62 days from college hoops— Steven Karr (@SKarrG0) September 6, 2022
Gonzaga Basketball Player of the Day: Johnathan Williams (2015-18)
Fact: 2017 West Region Most Outstanding Player. 5th in school history with 70 career NCAA Tournament rebounds. His 16 made FG vs Florida in the PK80 are second most by a Zag since 1990 pic.twitter.com/ceC4AVahPo
— — — — — — — — — — — — —
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)