A sour ending to a fun weekend
In case you chose not to watch because you thought it was a gimme, let me break the bad news to you:
It’s easily the worst loss Mizzou has had in the young Dennis Gates era and paints a worrying picture of a team still trying to gel five games into the season. The Tigers lost the turnover battle and shot poorly down the stretch from the free throw line, giving Jackson State enough space to squeeze a victory away.
Gates was complimentary of JSU after the game and implored that the season is still young for Mizzou. He pointed out that the Tigers won’t have much time to dwell on the loss...
"Is it gonna be a lesson or a loss?"— Joshua Shuman (@JShumanTV) November 20, 2023
Dennis Gates says tonight's loss to Jackson State needs to be a lesson. He adds leaving too many chances out on the floor as a reason for the outcome.@KOMUsports @BenArnetKOMU pic.twitter.com/reN3CpE8or
One wonders if the rotation may start to tighten in the upcoming games. Gates played 12 men on the night and freshman Trent Pierce didn’t even see the court after playing a role in Mizzou’s comeback against Minnesota. Starters Connor Vanover and John Tonje played a combined 10 minutes while seven players got 18 or more minutes.
The loss dropped Mizzou to 84 in the KenPom rankings. They’ll get No. 342 South Carolina State and No. 321 Loyola MD at home before traveling to Pittsburgh.
Yesterday at Rock M
- In which Sam implores us not to stop enjoying the moment
- In which the beat boys react to Mizzou’s thrilling win over Florida
- In which Jaden offers some special praise for the Missouri seniors
- In which Cal unleashes another fire storm of dope ass photos on our site
- In which Eli Drinkwitz flips a local three-star OL recruit
- In which Mizzou opens as a touchdown favorite over Arky
- In which Jaden recaps Mizzou’s shocking hoops loss to Jackson State
- In which Matthew recaps Mizzou’s 0-2 weekend vs. ranked teams
- Here’s your weekly “Mizzou in the NFL” recap:
- No. 3 #TigerStyle put on a showcase against No. 21 Arizona State over the weekend, winning their first dual of the year 39-6.
- Ben Frederickson has two pieces running near the top of the STL Today sports page. The first explains how the alternate universe Mizzou team is preparing for their CFP berth, while the other praises Mizzou’s seniors for their “culture of resilience”
- Coach Carl Reed Jr. is loving this year’s Mizzou team (obviously, as should everyone.)
- Mizzou Swimming took part in long course trial qualifiers this weekend, and it seems like Mizzou swimmers came out looking pretty good!
- The Columbia Tribune had some takeaways from the men’s shocking loss to Jackson State. I’m putting them at the bottom here because they make me sad.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)