Smell that hardwood?
First things first, let me say this: NO, this is not a slight against Mizzou’s football team, of which I am very proud for their incredible effort in Georgia this past weekend. There’s still a ton to play for this season, including a double-digit win season for the first time in a decade. I look forward to watching every second of the pursuit.
However, I can’t contain it. It being my excitement for HOOPS!
Both the men and the women’s teams will kick off their 2023-2024 seasons today, with the women playing Belmont at 11:30 am and the men playing Arkansas Pine-Bluff this evening at 7 pm. We’ll have coverage of both games today and tonight, so stay closely tuned to our site for that.
This season finds both of Mizzou’s programs in vastly different places. The Mizzou women desperately need a return to the postseason if Robin Pingeton plans on sticking around Columbia after her current contract expires. The Tigers have a lot of talent returning, including First Team All-SEC selection Hayley Frank and All-Freshman selection Ashton Judd, as well as a highly talented group of freshman like Grace Slaughter and Abbey Schreacke. Reaching the postseason should be a low bar to clear for what looks to be another very talented Robin Pingeton roster.
Dennis Gates, on the other hand, is looking to follow up a massively successful first season, one in which the Tigers stunned the conference by earning a double bye at the SEC Tournament and won their first NCAA Tournament game in over a decade before being knocked out by a cinderella Princeton team. They lost a lot of talent, but once again raided the transfer portal and brought in an exciting freshman class. The Tigers boasted one of the country’s best and fastest offenses in Gates’ first year, but they’re planning on being faster and more efficient this season. I, for one, can’t wait to see it.
Yesterday at Rock M
- In which Sam argues that Mizzou missed its opportunity against Georgia by missing the momentum
- In which Parker analyzes how Mizzou matched up with the Bulldogs in three key areas
- In which the beat team offers instant Reacts from Mizzou’s loss
- In which Adeen gives us an inside look at the gameday atmosphere at Sanford Stadium
- In which next week’s opening odds are out and, uh, Mizzou is an underdog??
- In which Quentin reminds us that there is still a lot to play for this season
- In which Mizzou Volleyball gets some revenge for their football counterparts, snagging a weekend win over Georgia (and Mississippi State)
- Here’s your weekly, “Mizzou in the NFL” recap:
- Ben Frederickson argues that, while beating Georgia was too much for this year’s Tigers, getting to a New Year’s Six bowl and 10 wins doesn’t have to be.
- MIZZOU HOCKEY RANKED, THIS IS NOT A DRILL!
- Mizzou Tennis ended its season at the Drake Invite, logging seven total wins from the weekend.
- Some individual finishes for Tigers at the Pan Am games this weekend.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)