It’s New Years Eve, December 31st, 2023. And I want to take a moment to thank you all, the readers. Rock M Nation has had by far its best year ever.
For 15 years Rock M Nation has been a blog for Ol’ Mizzou. And while I don't have all of the historical hit counter data, and maybe Bill C. can step in and tell me different, but our site zoomed past 7.5 million page views this month. I’ve been the site manager in some way since 2017 and that is our best year with December being the best month by a good margin.
So this is me saying thank you to all the readers. Thanks to the community of people who come in most every day, and thanks to the people who plug things into search engines that lead them here. There is still some fun things coming today as we wrap up the year. But for now, here are some of the most popular stories we’ve written this year that were not recruiting related (maybe recruiting adjacent).
- For some reason (google) a LOT of people read my column on Bob Huggins (no really, this was like the most popular post that wasn’t a transfer portal piece).
- The Cotton Bowl was a big deal, and so people flocked to Nate’s 5 takeaways from Mizzou’s 14-3 Cotton Bowl win.
- I guess technically it’s still recruiting, but the post was more about timing, and Caleb Love.
- Bowl projections are usually really popular, and Sammy Stava was the man on the spot with his each and every week. Week 13 was the most popular.
- There was a brief period well before the season started when the conversation about Mizzou going back to the Big 12 popped back up from those in the KC Media... Dan Keegan said no, and a lot of people clicked.
- Before Brady Cook had a strangle hold on the QB job we believed in the Quarterback competition, and a lot of people believed in Sam Horn.
- Coincidentally, the QB preview by Nate was very popular.
- Cody Schrader broke the single season record, Jaden Lewis even asked him about it.
- Before he broke the single season record, he nearly set the single game record against Tennessee and Adeen Rao was there for anyone who wanted to read about it.
- In November, before he left us, BK wrote about how the changing landscape of college sports means Mizzou is a better job than it used to be.
- As only Matt Harris can do, he explained the NET rankings and how it impacted Missouri.
- Matt Watkins wrote, and a lot of people read, the keys to beating Princeton... maybe Mizzou coaches and players should’ve looked, too!
- Softball is one of Mizzou’s best sports on a consistent basis, and Karen wrote about the last of Mizzou’s softball season and a lot of people read it.
- Quentin Corpruel’s farewell address to the Mizzou Football 2023 season was a fun read, if you haven’t go check it out (but a lot of people clicked on it).
- Mizzou Volleyball’s season ended against Nebraska, but not before a boatload of folks read Matthew Gustafson’s Q&A with Beth Merrigan of CornNation.
We also couldn’t publish all these sweet photos without Cal Tobias! And we can’t publish podcasts without Levi Hutmacher. They may not get as many clicks or credit, but without their work you’re missing out on a lot. So thanks to those two specifically.
But this is saying thanks for clicking all the above stories, and the other 1600 or so things we’ve published and written this past year. It’s been a fun 2023, and we’re super excited for 2024.