A look ahead to this upcoming weekend in Mizzou Athletics:
Mizzou Athletics is in full swing right now with the basketball regular season winding down heading into the postseason and diamond sports just starting up. Here’s a look at the busy schedule this weekend that Missouri has in store.
Starting off the young season 9-2 overall and currently on a six-game winning streak, Larissa Anderson’s Tigers are nationally ranked heading into the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic in Palm Springs, California.
Today, the Tigers will play Cal Poly (2:30) and BYU (5:00). On Friday, they’ll play Oregon State at 5:30, then No. 22/No. 24 Oregon on Saturday at 5:00 and Long Beach State at 7:30.
The No. 24/21 Tigers travel to Cathedral City, California, this weekend to compete in the @NutterClassic!!#Mizzou will compete in five games over the three-day tournament held at the Big League Dreams Complex. #OwnIt #MIZ https://t.co/smp2vyvMe1— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) February 22, 2023
Full preview on MUTigers.com, and of course Karen Steger will have you covered all throughout the weekend here on Rock M.
After starting the season 2-1 in Arlington at the College Baseball Showdown with big-time wins over Texas and TCU, Steve Bieser’s club has been the surprise so far in the SEC and look like a much improved from last season in the early going.
On the latest edition of the Inside Mizzou Athletics Podcast, Bieser joined Matt Michaels to discuss Missouri’s successful opening weekend. Give it a listen!
On this Inside @MizzouAthletics Podcast, we chat with @biesersr about @MizzouBaseball's opening weekend success, and what's to come for his club. Road warriors Matt & Brad also review a ton of big recent wins for #Mizzou teams & athletes!— Mizzou Radio (@MizzouRadio) February 22, 2023
LISTEN HERE: https://t.co/cVfhYYdz2K
Starting tonight, the Tigers have a four-game series at FIU in Miami. Florida International was picked to finish ninth out of 10 teams in the Conference USA Baseball Preseason Poll, so Mizzou probably needs to take three out of four at the very least in this series before coming home. Here are the first pitch times:
Sun: 11:00 a.m.
According to the preview on MUTigers.com, Arizona transfer RHP Chandler Murphy will get the start tonight, LHP Ian Loshe on Friday, the other Arizona transfer LHP Javyn Pimental on Saturday, and TBA on Sunday.
#Mizzou looks to stay in Florida! #MIZ #C2E ⚾️https://t.co/xN8ppssljy— Mizzou Baseball (@MizzouBaseball) February 22, 2023
All games are available to listen on the radio via KTGR, and Kortay Vincent will have our coverage on Rock M.
At 17-10 (6-8 SEC) coming off back-to-back wins over Mississippi State and Texas A&M, the Tigers are still on the wrong side of the bubble in ESPN’s Charlie Creme bracketology (First Four Out) desperately needing a strong finish heading into the SEC Tournament.
Tonight is a pivotal one on the road against Ole Miss (20-7, 9-5 SEC) as the Rebels are a projected No. 8 seed. Tip-off is set for 6 PM CST on SEC Network Plus. Here’s a look at the preview on MUTigers.com.
On Sunday afternoon, the Tigers close out the regular season at home against Florida (14-13, 3-11 SEC) 2 p.m. CST on SEC Network Plus.
Lauren Rosenberg will have our coverage on Rock M.
After their upset victory over No. 5 Auburn in a record crowd at the Hearnes Center, 15th ranked Mizzou (5-3, 2-3 SEC) looks to carry their momentum on the road against 17th ranked Arkansas in Fayetteville.
Can SEC Co-Specialist of the Week Jocelyn Moore repeat her 10.0 performance on the vault? Stay tuned tomorrow night at 8 PM CST on the SEC Network. Should be another fantastic meet to watch. Karen will have a preview and keep you up to date with what’s happening on Friday.
After Nick Honor’s game winner against Mississippi State in overtime, Mizzou is now 20-8 (8-7 SEC) with three games remaining in the regular season on the verge of clinching an at-large berth in the NCAA Tournament. Plus, a double-bye in the SEC Tournament is still within reach.
On Saturday, the Tigers travel to Georgia (16-12, 6-9 SEC). The Bulldogs are 13-2 at home with notable wins over Auburn, Mississippi State, and Kentucky — but they also lost their last two games to Alabama (108-59) and Arkansas (97-65) by a combined 81 points.
Currently, this is a “Quad 3” game on Mizzou’s NET team sheet as Georgia is ranked No. 138.
Tip-off on Saturday in Athens is set for noon on the SEC Network.
Onto the links. M-I-Z!
Yesterday at Rock M
- From Matthew Smith: Mizzou Wrestling Regular Season Wrap-Up
- Study Hall from Sam Snelling: Mizzou 66, Mississippi State 64 (Honor Heroics)
- From Brandon Kiley: Can Kirby Moore improve Mizzou’s offense this year the way Blake Baker improved the Tiger’s defense last year?
- BEFORE THE BOX SCORE with Nate Edwards and Brandon Kiley: Let’s talk about football scheduling and rule changes
- From Dave Matter: How Nick Honor’s fearless shooting proved clutch in Mizzou’s OT victory
- Tipsheet from Jeff Gordon: Missouri stabilizes, Texas A&M keeps rolling in SEC play
- From Benjamin Hockman’s Ten Hochman: In big Mizzou hoops win, Tre Gomillion was a chameleon
- From Ethan Burke: Missouri faces FIU in first regular-season series
- From Maddie Orr: ‘Tough teams win on Sundays’: MU softball heads to California
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- From Matt Stahl: How Missouri basketball’s win over Mississippi State shows it’s built to win in March
- This is a heck of an accomplishment for a Mizzou Women’s Basketball signee. Way to go, Grace!
Monster feat @graciekkay10 surpasses 2500 points tonight according to MSHSAA records she becomes first ever 4a, 5a, 6a player to do it! Congrats Grace!! pic.twitter.com/twRFT9CBT8— Phenom Basketball (@MissouriPhenom) February 22, 2023
- How about this? Mizzou Football is recruiting the No. 1 ranked heavyweight high school wrestler, according to James Hackney:
@MizzouFootball recruiting the #1 ranked heavyweight in high school wrestling https://t.co/yLOGukkOSd— James Hackney, SPT (@FFJames94) February 22, 2023
- Important bracket note on Mizzou from Matt Watkins:
Bracket Projection Note:— Order On The Court (@DataMizzou) February 22, 2023
Mizzou's strength of resume metric rank average is 24. Follow that closely.
No team in the top 35 has missed the tournament in 3 years under the NET setup.
Only one team (VCU-2021; 28 avg) had a top 30 average and was seeded below a 9.
- Cool video here from Mizzou Club Hockey:
Friday— Mizzou Club Hockey (@MizClubHockey) February 22, 2023
v/c: @trevfilms pic.twitter.com/3HfFjJ8UEI
- Dennis Gates: COACH OF THE YEAR, according to Tre Gomillion:
We couldn't agree more @Tre_Gomillion pic.twitter.com/HVEdQ9xVkW— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) February 23, 2023
- March Madness: Soon.
One day closer to March #MIZ pic.twitter.com/cRFSUysbYh— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) February 22, 2023
- Congrats to COMO’s Averi Kroenke, who was named a finalist for the High School Sportswomen of the Year
Columbia's own @akswish1 was a finalist for the High School Sportswoman of the Year at the @winforcolumbia awards pic.twitter.com/WB03nu01cC— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) February 23, 2023
WIN Awards Roundup— Mizzou Track & Field (@MizzouTFXC) February 23, 2023
@arianna_fisher6 » Collegiate Sportswoman of the Year@sophia_rivera13 » Inspiration award
» https://t.co/fMw9frMTu8 pic.twitter.com/vG5lnqjWW8
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)