In the latest edition of Joe Lunardi’s bracketology, the Missouri Tigers came in as a No. 8 seed in a projected match up against the Northwestern Wildcats in what would be a “Battle of the J-Schools”.
However, Tuesday night against South Carolina was a “can’t afford to lose” game for the Tigers’ NCAA Tournament hopes.
In a rare “Quad 4” game in conference play, Mizzou desperately needed to take care of business at home. And they did — definitely not as much as the metrics predicted, but again — a win is a win.
With an 83-74 victory over South Carolina, the Tigers improved to 18-6 (6-5 SEC) on the season with a team-high 19 points from senior leader Kobe Brown.
Obviously, a single digit win over the last place team in the SEC doesn’t help the resume at all, but the Tigers are still undefeated in Quad 2, 3, and 4 competition. That matters.
And somehow, two of South Carolina’s eight wins have come against Clemson and at Kentucky — and they nearly beat Arkansas.
This was an important win, especially with the road trip to Tennessee and Auburn coming up.
Perfect way to describe this game, though.
It's a win, but pretty awful game.— ROCK M NATION (@RockMNation) February 8, 2023
This game DID have a Sportscenter Top 10 nominee highlight reel in Kobe Brown’s alley-oop pass to Aidan Shaw. Take a look:
And yet, it’s another game where Isiaih Mosley did not play. Here’s the postgame update from Dave Matter:
Dennis Gates on Mosley not playing: "We had a conversation before the game and we both felt that it was great to just take this one off."— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) February 8, 2023
He later said Mosley wanted to play tonight. Not a lot of clarity.
As always, more coverage to come later from Sam Snelling’s study hall.
Other SEC Basketball scores on Tuesday night:
- Ole Miss 78, Georgia 74
- Texas A&M 83. Auburn 78
- Arkansas 88, Kentucky 73
Onto the links. M-I-Z!
Yesterday at Rock M
- The Revue from Josh Matejka: Mizzou gets the job (mostly) done in a (mostly) satisfying week
- From Nate Edwards: What Was Wrong with Mizzou’s Running Game? Part 1 — Nathaniel Peat
- MBB Preview from Brandon Haynes: Mizzou faces South Carolina in Battle of Columbias
- PODCAST with Sam Snelling and Matthew Harris: Let’s discuss why the data matters to Mizzou’s March Madness hopes
- Gamer from Parker Gillam: Tigers survive South Carolina’s upset attempt thanks to Brown’s all-around effort
- Mizzou basketball vs South Carolina from Dave Matter: Numbers to know for Tuesday’s SEC clash
- Game story from Dave Matter: Mizzou basketball avoids home upset, holds off South Carolina
- From the staff: Harlan, dog beloved by Mizzou students, died Tuesday
- From the staff: MU women’s golf takes third at FAU Paradise Invitational
- Game story from Jack Knowlton: MU edges out win over South Carolina
- From Jaden Lewis: MU’s Shaw and South Carolina’s Jackson II provide a glimpse of SEC’s young talent
- From Rock M’s own Parker Gillam: MU women’s basketball slides; South Carolina, LSU stay atop SEC power rankings
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- On MUTigers.com, Soccer Announces 2023 Spring Schedule
- On MUTigers.com, Women’s Golf Places Third at Florida
#Mizzou womens golf wrapped up its first event of the spring season today with a final round 1-under 287 to finish in 3rd at the FAU Paradise Invitational. Sophia Yoemans, Melanie Walker, and Emily Staples each finished in the top 15 individually @CoMoSports pic.twitter.com/SF1kcTkSHS— Kortay Vincent (@KortayVincent) February 7, 2023
- RIP, Harlan. A very sad day around the Mizzou campus and community
- On KOMU 8 Sports, Watch Ben Arnet’s interview with former Mizzou Football assistant coach Andy Hill — who is now a Special Teams Assistant for the Chiefs.
WATCH: KOMU Sports Director Ben Arnet (@BenArnetKOMU) interviews Kansas City Chiefs Special Teams Assistant and former Missouri Football player and assistant coach Andy Hill (@CoachHillChiefs) ahead of this year's Super Bowl. #mizzouhttps://t.co/3uoSPDhqNQ— KOMU 8 Sports (@KOMUsports) February 8, 2023
- According to ESPN’s Bill Connelly, Mizzou comes in at No. 9 in the country in returning production for the 2023 season at 78 percent.
2023! RETURNING! PRODUCTION!— Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) February 7, 2023
Which good teams could be even more loaded? (FSU, Michigan)
Which .500ish teams could surge? (A&M, Kansas, MIZ)
Which great teams have a lot to replace? ( )
DANGER ZONE! DANGER ZONE! (Kent St, Ga St, App??)https://t.co/edFdT3QR6D
- From 247Sports: Mizzou Freshman TE Brett Norfleet makes their All-Impact Team in 2023 recruits who could play right away
- From Mizzou Gymnastics: Get to know fifth year senior Hannah Mcrary!
- It’s GAME WEEK for Mizzou Softball! The Tigers begin the season against a Top 10 Texas team on Friday afternoon in Clearwater, Florida. They will also face another top 10 team in Northwestern later on in the weekend.
- Jordan Barnett to the Show Me TBT Squad?
- On SB Nation’s “Niners Nation”, 49ers to hire (former Mizzou DC) Steve Wilks as their defensive coordinator
- Mizzou Football announces that their Spring Football Clinic will be held March 3rd and 4th. Here’s a look at the schedule:
- Congrats to Mizzou Senior Diver Carlo Lopez, who was named SEC Diver of the Week!
Just doing Carlo things.— Mizzou Swim & Dive (@MizzouSwimDive) February 7, 2023
After a strong finish at the Airforce Diving Invitational Carlo was named Co-Diver of the Week! pic.twitter.com/WfWqyqohRf
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)