Please Cam’Ron Johnson... please...
The transfer portal hasn’t been particularly kind to Mizzou Football this cycle... at least not to this point. Six players have exited to find new homes and they’ve been replaced by no one. Not exactly the best strategy in building a roster.
However, the Tigers are investing a lot in fighting for the big dogs. As we’ve speculated on this site, highly coveted OL transfer Cam’Ron Johnson has received some interest from the Tigers. His former coach was just hired by Eli Drinkwitz and Mizzou has a clear need for a new starter.
UPDATE— NCAA Transfer Portal (@RivalsPortal) April 16, 2023
Houston OL transfer Cam'Ron Johnson is focused on two schools - Missouri and USC
The First-Team, All-AAC performer recaps his weekend visit with the Tigers and looks ahead to his trip with the Trojanshttps://t.co/z10bTHAiYh pic.twitter.com/8Id3zzW6BC
Obviously going against USC for recruits never bodes particularly well, but one would think the pull of playing for his old coach in the SEC against the best pass rushers in the country has to appeal to him on some level.
Speaking of the best pass rushers in the country, Mizzou hasn’t had to look for to find one of those in the 2024 high school class.
This is the type of recruit Drinkwitz has been pretty good at landing thus far, but he’ll have some stiff competition in and out of the SEC. Here’s to rooting for the hometown pull!
Yesterday at Rock M
- In which Sam argues that Tamar Bates is just the right fit for Mizzou... and vice versa!
- In which a former four-star cornerback is headed out the door in Columbia
- The basketball transfer portal shifts drastically from day to day, calling for coaching staffs to have a plan that shifts with it. Chris Kwiecinski analyzes what Dennis Gates’ plan might be as players continue to fly in and out.
- Kadin Shedrick is still visiting Mizzou, but he’ll have a few other schools on his list in the weeks afterward.
Virginia transfer Kadin Shedrick tells me that he has set the following visit schedule:— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) April 16, 2023
Maybe Gates can show Shedrick this chart to indicate how much he can get out of his talent!
88 players "up transferred" last cycle, making the jump from low or mid-major to P6.— Aidan Kunst (@aidankunst) April 16, 2023
Using @evanmiya's player ratings database and excellent Bayesian Performance Metric, I looked at which P6 teams got the most value out of the lower levels and which players improved most. pic.twitter.com/2kwcbMuS8U
- Mizzou Softball had a chance to win their series over Ole Miss but couldn’t stage a late game rally big enough, falling 7-6 on Sunday afternoon. The two will meet for the rubber match later today. Karen will have updates.
- Hayden Buckley finished -14 at the RBC Heritage on Hilton Head Island, which was good enough to tie for fifth.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)