First things first. Fate has interfered and dictated one of the things I write about up top. I kid you not, the Marc Cohn classic “Walking in Memphis” came on the radio a minute ago. I mean, when that happens, what can you do? (Besides sing the song, of course). You HAVE to write about the Memphis game time, right?
That’s right, we have a game time for the Mizzou-Memphis game next Saturday. Right on schedule with their slow-as-molasses release of game times.
Figures the Tigers get a coveted night game slot when they are playing indoors at the
Edward Jones Dome The Dome at America’s Center (it’s apparently changed names since I last looked it up). Alas, it’s better than the 11am tipoff I thought fans were going to be stuck with so I’m a happy camper. AND only because Monday was my father’s birthday (HBD, Dad!), ESPN & Charter/Spectrum reached a deal so now that company’s subscribers can actually watch the action if they’re not there in person. #birthdayblessings
Softball released its Fall Ball schedule on Monday, which is what I planned to focus on up top. On September 30, the Tigers will kick off their fall schedule against the Roos & MO State in KC, before hosting three other competitions at Mizzou Softball Stadium in October.
Fall Ball is just around the corner!!— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) September 11, 2023
The Tigers will open the slate in Kansas City on Saturday, Sept. 30 before hosting three sets of competitions.
: https://t.co/GpvZb4I4Bm#OwnIt #MIZ pic.twitter.com/8PsORHMZck
About the competition:
The only true test should be Missouri State, whom the Tigers last saw in the NCAA Regionals two seasons ago. They are legit, well-coached, and always very competitive. Kansas City is the only other D-I team on the schedule, but overall, I’d say it’s a nice slate of good-prominent JuCo and D-II and D-III teams.
- Kansas City: 9-43 | Summit League | Lost to no. 25 Missouri 5-11 in Tigers’ season opener in March 2023
- Missouri State: 31-20 | Lost to 7-seed Belmont in the MVC Tourney, ending their season | Lost 2 games to Missouri in Columbia Regional in 2022
- Kaskaskia College: 49-18 | Located in Centralia, Ill. | NJCAA Region XXIV Champions | Lost to Seminole State College (OK) in NJCAA D1 World Series
- Columbia College: 26-19 | Claimed sixth-straight AMC tournament championship in ‘22 | Eliminated by 9-seed Marian University (Ind.) in NAIA World Series second round
- Coe College: 39-11 | Eliminated by 3-seed Trine University in NCAA Division III Championships (it’d be like Mizzou losing in the Supers to JMU a few years ago)
- Jefferson College: 16-22 | Located in Hillsboro, Mo. | NJCAA Division I
- Missouri Southern State: 41-15 | Eliminated by 14-seed Rogers State in NCAA D-II Central Regional Tournament
- Central Methodist: 42-12 | Eliminated by Georgia Gwinnett in 2023 NAIA World Series in 4th ever appearance in World Series
About this year’s team:
- Departures: Kendal Cook (grad transfer, Charleston Southern) | Payton Jackson (graduate) | Emma Nichols (graduate) | Maddie Snider (transfer, USF) | Hannah McGivern (graduate) | Megan Moll (grad transfer, FAU) | Addie Lange (graduate) | Megan Schumacher (grad transfer, GCU) | Riley Frizell (transfer, Louisville)
- Transfers: Mya Dodge, Northern Iowa
- Freshmen: Madison Walker (Olathe, Kan.) | Danielle Blackstun (O’Fallon, Mo.) | Stefania Abruscato (Smithtown, N.Y.) | Claire Cahalan (Columbus, Ga.) | Marissa McCann (Surprise, Ariz.) | Nathalie Touchet (Aledo, Texas) | Adi Koller (Texarkana, Texas) | Abby Hay (Columbia, Mo.)
Yesterday at Rock M
- Matthew recapped VB’s weekend in Cincy: Mizzou Volleyball takes two of three at the Xavier Tournament
- Quentin examined Five plays that defined Saturday’s 23-19 win over Middle Tennessee State
- Sam talked with Rocco Miller about non-con scheduling on a new Dive Cuts
- Dan wrapped up his thoughts on the game from afar (he lives in Brooklyn) in a notebook-style piece
- Josh is back with a new MV3
- IN CASE YOU MISSED; Read Sam’s Pourover— Pourover: When do we see progress?
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: ‘Luther is Him.’ Mizzou receiver Burden III looks elite in his sophomore season (Benjamin Hochman) | Pressure and penalties raise early questions about Mizzou’s offensive line (Eli Hoff) | A win is not a win. Mizzou’s rough showing creates concern, heading into K-State game (Hochman) | Mizzou football snapshots: PFF grades, snap counts for Tigers’ win against Middle Tennessee (Hoff)
- Columbia Tribune: 7 thoughts from Mizzou football’s win over Middle Tennessee State (Chris Kwiecinski)
- Saturday Down South: Stock report after Week 2 (Sydney Hunte) | 3 takeaways from Mizzou’s Week 2 victory over Middle Tennessee (Adam Spencer)
- The Athletic: Ranking all 133 teams after Week 2 (Chris Vannini) | SEC football second impressions: Amid rough start, a vibe ranking of each team (Seth Emerson)
The Tigers are #53 in Vannini’s Top 133 list, behind SMU and Troy, and just ahead of CC, Florida and… Memphis.
From Emerson’s vibe ranking:
#9. Missouri: Not a resounding win over a team that got routed the week before at Alabama. Missouri didn’t take a two-score lead until the fourth quarter, then had to hold on. This was after a “meh” win over South Dakota. That seems to be the continual vibe with Mizzou these days: Meh.
Y’all… The vibes are not immaculate. Missouri was also #9 on Seth’s list last week, following week 1. Hmphhh. I agree. We’ve got very “Meh” vibes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- PowerMizzou: Listen to State of the Tigers presented by James Carlton: Episode 7 (Gabe DeArmond & Jarod Hamilton) | Five-star WR Ryan Wingo gives the latest on his recruitment (Sean Williams) | How Missouri did versus Middle Tennessee State using PFF College (Hamilton)
- This actually made me laugh way too hard, because it’s so true...
- Pretty cool! There’s two Tigers on this list. One former (TJ) and one current, Nyles Gaddy. This is super cool for Gaddy; Rock M’s football minds really like him. Per the release, the senior finished with three tackles, 2 for a loss along with a pair of sacks for a 15-yard loss in the Tigers’ win over MTSU. It is the second multi-sack performance of his career and first in a Missouri uniform. Read more at MUTigers.com.
WK2 | #SECFB Players of the Week— Southeastern Conference (@SEC) September 11, 2023
OFFENSIVE: Spencer Rattler, @GamecockFB
CO-DEFENSIVE: Jett Johnson, @HailStateFB
CO-DEFENSIVE: Eugene Asante, @AuburnFootball
SPECIAL TEAMS: Caden Davis, @OleMissFB
FRESHMAN: London Humphreys,…
- In case you haven’t watched this, this is good work by Connor McLain, who is working for both Mizzou Athletics and PowerMizzou. This video almost makes me forget the @#%&show we witnessed on Saturday.
- Two former Tigers. Battling to the death
The most compelling angle of Bills-Jets has nothing to do with a new quarterback or a divisional game. It’s far more entertaining to consider the battle between two former #Mizzou centers: Connor McGovern and Mitch Morse.— Eli Hoff (@byEliHoff) September 12, 2023
- I don’t know what this is, but Parker said it was big news, so we’ll go with it
Once Upon A Saturday Tour alert— Josh Pate (@LateKickJosh) September 11, 2023
We're headed to Columbia. First time EVER. pic.twitter.com/HFDkd3Sfhm
- Scenes from Mizzou Hoops commit Marcus Allen’s second OV to campus:
- Can’t wait to watch Curt play this season!
Curt Lewis— JucoRecruiting.com (@JucoRecruiting) September 11, 2023
JUCO: John A. Logan (@LoganVolsBBall)
22-23 Stats: 14.3 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 3.8 APG, 48.3% 3FG, NJCAA D1 National Champ
23-24 Roster: Missouri (@MizzouHoops) pic.twitter.com/0HEbM97faj
Other Mizzou Sports
- DENNIS! GIVE US THE DEETS! Women’s Golf is currently at the Sam Golden Invitational in Denton, TX (North Texas) while Volleyball travels to Eastern Illinois for a two-game series on Thursday & Friday (6pm & 4pm, respectively). Soccer, meanwhile, travels to The Swamp to kick off SEC play on Friday at 6pm (SEC+).
Mizzou fans, only 1 home game this week! Make sure to support @Mizzoufootball as they take on Kansas State on Sept. 16th at 11am. Good luck to @MizzouWomenGolf, @MizzouVB, and @MizzouSoccer on the road! #MIZ #MizzouMonday— Dennis Gates (@coachdgates) September 11, 2023
- This week in Mizzou sports (Trevon Bobo, PowerMizzou)
- Riddle me this, XC runners
- LFG, Bella! Didn’t take long for the All-Freshman team goalie to get back in the swing of things. Per the MU Tigers release:
Hollenbach helped the Tigers to a 2-0 week in net, totaling nine saves over two games and one clean sheet. After a penalty kick against border rival Illinois, the redshirt sophomore shut the door on the Illini, propelling the team to a 2-1 win. Following that performance, the keeper posted a shutout of Missouri State in St. Louis, making two point-blank saves to earn her first clean sheet of the season and fourth of her career.
- Check out this soccer video as the Tigers wrapped up non-con:
- The legend and weekend Mizzou Athletics Hall of Fame inductee
- Former softball GA Kristin Hallam has found a landing spot at
- the University of Pennsylvania!
- Columbia Outlaws best Mizzou Rugby Club in season-opening scrimmage (Stephen Vierling, Missourian)
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)