Drink Up all the way through 2028!
Back in November 2022, when Mizzou was sitting at 4-4 in the SEC schedule, Eli Drinkwitz got himself a two-year contract extension from the athletic department. It was a much discussed decision at the time given that Drinkwitz had yet to capitalize on all the off-field hype he had generated. The on field results were mixed at best and fans were getting antsy.
Nowadays, news of a contract extension comes and goes with little fanfare. In what seemed like a foregone conclusion after an 11-2 season and a New Year’s Six bowl win, Mizzou announced it would again extend Eli Drinkwitz, this time through the 2028 season.
Drinkwitz is 28-21 as Mizzou’s head coach including a .500 17-17 SEC record. The 28 victories are the most through the first four seasons by a Tigers head coach since Warren Powers and the 17 conference victories are the most since Dan Devine in that same timespan.
The momentum will continue into 2024 as the Tigers also extended both coordinators Blake Baker and Kirky Moore this month. Interest for the team is the highest its been in awhile as Faurot Field experienced its most consecutive sellouts for the first time since 1980 while attendance was up 10.4% from a season ago. With the team returning a lot of key pieces and attacking the transfer portal hard, expectations are high in the state.
Details of the extension have yet to be unveiled, so we’ll keep an eye on news as it comes down the pipe. Sufficed to say, no one seems too bothered by a pay bump for Drink these days.
Yesterday at Rock M
- In which Sam highlights our most popular non-recruiting stories of 2023. Thanks for reading, y’all!
- In which Josh argues that 2023 was a magical year for Mizzou Sports as a whole
- In which Sammy lists out the 10 best plays of the year from across the athletic department
- In which Eli Drinkwitz gets yet another contract extension after Mizzou’s 11-2 season
- Want to relive some of the best moments of 2023? Take a peek...
- In the same vein, Mizzou Gymnastics had a lot to celebrate this year.
- Us: Markus Golden, stop. You smoke too tough. Your swag too different. Your fit too bad. They’ll kill you.
- Remember how Williams Nwaneri is going to be in black and gold later this year? Can’t freaking wait.
5-star Missouri signee Williams Nwaneri (@NwaneriWilliams) looking good going through d-line drills— The Underclassman Report (@TheUCReport) December 31, 2023
One of the most physically impressive prospects at the Under Armour All-America game @UANextFootball | #UANext pic.twitter.com/8N1Pffoqwb
- Here’s your weekly “Mizzou in the NFL” recap:
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)