Well, that was quite the season-opening
game scrimmage between the ol’ Tigers of Missouri and supposed in-state rival Missouri State. Of course, I have many a thought on what I witnessed this past weekend but, what about you? Are you nervous? Freaking out? Embarrassed? Ready to light a fire under Barry Odom’s seat? Ready to utter that ancient Kansas proverb: “Wait ‘til basketball season!”?
Hopefully none of you are the latter. Seriously, though, don’t be that person.
Not yet, anyway.
As always, light up the comments section with what you think you know about the current state of the Tigers and your predictions for the upcoming South Carolina game. Before I get to mine, let’s take a look at a few WITIK’s and Predictions from last week.
RECAP: What I Thought I Knew Last Week
“I THINK the defense can't be worse than 2016… but it could be the same -- especially if 'arm tackle' turns out to be the most consistent defensive player returning from last year's squad.”
“I THINK 'bowl'ing is a thing we Mizzou fans should look forward to/expect. I KNOW I'd be disappointed with less than 6 wins.”
I’m still on board with this despite the football gods telling me otherwise.
“I hope to learn nothing (from the game). I feel if a lesson is learned from a Missouri/Missouri State game, it probably won't be a positive one for Missouri. They (Missouri) should move the ball at will. They should score many points. They should tackle. They should dominate both sides of the ball. If they don't, we have problems. No good lessons come from playing this level of competition.”
Unfortunately, we learned a thing or two over the weekend.
“Jack Lowary will throw 2 touchdowns... Dawson "Code Red" Downing will produce over 100 yards from scrimmage… McCann won't miss a kick (FG/XP)… Mizzou will win 56-7.”
Nope… though, Tucker McCann only missed one extra point! He did, however, launch two kickoffs out of bounds.
What I THINK I KNOW
- I KNOW Missouri is 1-0. I THINK that’s all I’m going to say about that.
- I THINK Tucker McCann will be fine but wish we could line up some bowling alley-style bumper guards down the sideline this week just in case. I KNOW some of you think I’m joking.
- I THINK/WORRY this team – from defense to offense, from tackling to quarterbacking – is essentially a clone of last year’s squad. I KNOW that can’t be right. Right?
- I THINK the WR screen (or whatever we’re calling that horizontal pass) is quite effective against lesser competition. I KNOW over-reliance on it will aid in many sub-sixty-second 3-and-outs this season.
- Guys, I THINK the defense is bad regardless of the offense’s pace of play. Guys, I KNOW 17.8 seconds per play is ridiculous, though.
- I KNOW Mizzou played many freshmen on defense this past weekend. I THINK that probably shouldn’t matter against an FCS team that won 5 games combined the past 2 seasons.
- I KNOW SEC Nation will be in Columbia this weekend! I THINK I better see Oscar Gamble prowling around in the background with a sign that reads, “Paul, come on my podcast and talk about it.” [Editor’s Note: Way ahead of you.]
- I THINK Damarea Crockett should be suspended 6 games for his violently aggressive/excessive celebration. I KNOW that was a test to see if you’re paying attention.
- I THINK I have a better chance of understanding what the hell happened on Twin Peaks: The Return than what the hell is going on with this team. I KNOW only a handful of you have any idea what a ‘Twin Peak’ is.
- I KNOW Coach Barry Odom is actually running Missouri’s defense, not DeMontie Cross – as mentioned by Gabe DeArmond here:
Odom is in charge of this defense and has been since middle of last season. https://t.co/qnu2Dleab9— Gabe DeArmond (@GabeDeArmond) September 2, 2017
- I THINK it’s reasonable to ask why Odom employs a defensive coordinator (Cross) he doesn’t actually trust to coordinate the defense (and hasn’t since mid-2016) and what that may say about Odom as a head coach. Though I THINK it’s waaay too early to write-off Barry Odom as a head coach, I KNOW not every highly-touted coordinator has what it takes to lead a Power 5 football team.
- I THINK I KNOW what ‘red flags’ look like. I HOPE Barry Odom is not Kim Anderson. Or Romeo Crennel. Chiefs fans, remember that guy?
What do YOU think you know?
What I Hope to Learn from the Mizzou vs South Carolina
- Anything positive, really. Seriously, anything. Maybe the defense isn’t actually as bad as we think it is. Maybe the offense is actually as potent as it pretends to be against FCS talent. Maybe someone learned to f***ing tackle! Maybe McCann was just nervous last week. Maybe there is more to the playbook than WR screens. Maybe we’ll learn what exactly it is DeMontie Cross does. Maybe we’ll be undefeated! I don’t care, as long as we can take away something positive.
- But in all seriousness, I would love to learn Cross’ role with the team.
What do YOU hope to learn?
- Crockett scores 4 touchdowns and makes SC’s defense look silly
- Drew Lock throws for just a hair under 400 yards
- J’mon Moore will see most of those yards
- South Carolina will never have a lead
- McCann will not miss an extra point
- Terry Beckner Jr. racks up 1 sack and 2.5 tackles for loss
- Marcell Frazier leads the defense with 2 sacks
- Tim Tebow takes batting practice at halftime
- Mizzou wins 49-31
- Eric Beisel snags an interception… or, as part of a new game day ritual; sacrifices a rooster, paints his face with it’s blood, demands to be addressed as Pepe Silvia, and only refers to South Carolina as ‘Carol in HR.’ Like I stated last week, you never know with gladiators.
What are YOUR game predictions?
I have stated at least once on this website my declining interest in renewing the Kansas “rivalry.” I’m over it, frankly. We won the divorce, guys. The grass was in fact greener on the other side. The SEC is the place to be and the Big 12(?) will probably not exist 10 years from now. Yet, we as a fanbase struggle to move on as we keep peering over our shoulder to see what our “ex” is up to. I don’t get it but do understand I am in the vast minority as far as this topic is concerned.
So when Rob Riggle told the Kansas City Star last week Missouri “(snuck) out of a conference in the middle of the night,” it ruffled a few feathers. I, however, smirked and saw this a perfect opportunity to show the Mizzou fanbase the truth about their “ex.” Yes, I am that close friend about to remind you the bitter realities of that toxic drunken relationship you’ve been pining over all these years.
I suppose I could bring up how the two of you would often get loaded in a parking lot and yell obscenities at one another, ya know, for fun. Or how you were never really all that compatible to begin with. And if we’re being completely honest, how the Kansas/Missouri “rivalry” is the product of complacency. It’s ok, it happens. Marrying your high school sweetheart rarely works out, though. But rather than diving into any of this, let me simply show you what you’re “missing.”
This is what your “ex” looks like in the light of day. Not exactly Kate Upton, is it?
Nobody wants this.
Any time you think about Kansas or feel the desire or need to reignite the “rivalry,” just remember this face.
Really makes you think, doesn’t it?
We can do better.